Technology has enabled us to have amazing gadgets in the form of baseboard heaters. These incredible gadgets work to control temperatures in our home spaces. It is scary to even think of winter arriving while you don’t have a baseboard heater in the house. Baseboard heaters warm up your space to the desired temperature even in the chilliest of weather. A warm atmosphere should be a priority for you and your family as the winter period sets in. Baseboard heaters sit on the floor hence they come with no installation hassles. The baseboard heaters are either hydronic or convection powered. Baseboard heaters are energy efficient while delivering amazing efficiency in heat dissipation, allowing you to reduce your electricity costs during the winter period by turning your central heating system low.
The benefits of having supplemental systems in the form of baseboard heaters in your house are undeniable. However, many people do not know the technical aspects of a baseboard heater. The baseboard heater you get should be able to deliver the desired results. In fact, to be less worried during the chilly weathers, you need to get the best baseboard heater on the market. You might wonder how you will be able to identify the best baseboard heater. If you are, read this review. It contains a chronological review of some carefully selected baseboard heaters. These are some of the best heaters. The review highlights the features of these heaters and their merits. This review will give you important insight that will be helpful next time you are out shopping for a baseboard heater.
- 1 Best Baseboard Heaters 2018
- 2 1) Fahrenheat PLF1004 – Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 3 2) Cadet Manufacturing 09952 240-Volt White – Best Electric Baseboard Heater
- 4 3) Marley HBB1254 Qmark Electric/Hydronic Best Electric Baseboard Heater
- 5 4) King 6CB2412BW 1250-Watt 240-Volt 6-Foot Baseboard Heater
- 6 5) Cadet Manufacturing 09956 240-Volt Baseboard Hardwire Electric Zone Heater
- 7 6) Cadet Manufacturing 05534 120-Volt
- 8 7) Fahrenheat PLF754 Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 9 8) Heat-Wave EB98937 Convection Baseboard Heater
- 10 9) Marley HBB750 Qmark Electric/Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 11 10) Fahrenheat PLF1504 240-volt Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 12 11) King 4K1210BW 1000-Watt 120-Volt 4-Foot
- 13 Best Baseboard Heaters 2018 – Buyer’s Guide (DEEP INSIGHT)
- 14 FAQS about baseboard heaters
Best Baseboard Heaters 2018
1) Fahrenheat PLF1004 – Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
We start off with the Fahrenheat PLF1004 baseboard heater. This is a hydronic powered heater. This means its heat dissipation is based on a heat transfer liquid. The baseboard heater has an attractive, ergonomic design. It will be an additional decoration piece while sitting in your living room. You can let it sit directly on your floor, tiles or carpet. It is UL listed. Hence, safety is guaranteed. It is an ideal heater for all spaces, be it the living room, bedroom or bathroom.
- It comes in a white crisp and attractive finish.
- It is UL listed.
- It is a hydronic power heater.
- It has a thermal cutout shut-off system.
- It weighs 16.3 pounds.
- The crisp finish is attractive; it adds on to the decorative beauty in your house.
- It is certified as safe for use.
- It has a thermal cutout shut off system which protects it overheating.
- It is usable in virtually all spaces.
- The heater is heavy; It cannot often be moved.
This baseboard heater enjoys amazing reviews on Amazon. That only goes to prove that it is an amazing heater. It works well in almost all conditions, and you get to set it to your most preferred temperature level. That is very convenient. It has been certified as safe and comes with additional features to ensure it does not overheat, neither does it get damaged. All these amazing features put it in a good position for consideration as the best baseboard heater.
2) Cadet Manufacturing 09952 240-Volt White – Best Electric Baseboard Heater
The Cadet series of baseboard heaters is a popular one. This is because they deliver amazing efficiency and convenience. The Cadet 09952 Baseboard heater is one of their amazing heaters. It is an electric convection powered heater. It, therefore, heats up the space using convectional currents. The 750 watts is ideal for most spaces except humid and wet spaces. It is lightweight and hence moving it is easy. It delivers heats levels as desired. You can set the temperature you need for your room. It has crisp white and attractive finish. It is also powder coated to ensures it stays shining. It is an additional decoration to your space. Its white color will blend well with other decoration pieces in your space.
- It has a power draw of 750 watts.
- The heater transmits heat waves continuously.
- It requires a thermostat to control the heat.
- It is made of 25-gauge steel.
- It has a 20-gauge junction box with a ground connection
- The steel materials are powder costed.
- The heater is UL-listed
- It heats up space continuously. There is no cold moment with this heater.
- It allows you to set the temperature to levels you prefer.
- It is made of durable materials.
- It is powder coated to ensure the materials do not wear out quickly.
- It is certified as safe for use.
- It is lightweight hence portable.
- It requires a separate thermostat to be able to adjust the temperature levels. This means you might have to seek the help of a professional technician to install it for you. This might be an extra cost.
- It cannot be used in humid and wet spaces.
The Cadet 09952 Baseboard heater has impressive features. Its reviews on Amazon are equally as impressive. It heats up your space fast and keeps the heat levels stable. It is ideal for most spaces except the wet and humid one. Humidity will quickly damage the heater. It has safety certification, which will keep you at ease while you are using it. Overall, the heater proves to be an incredible one. It deserves consideration as one of the best baseboard heaters available.
3) Marley HBB1254 Qmark Electric/Hydronic Best Electric Baseboard Heater
Qmark is another brand of baseboard heaters that are popular. The Qmark HBB1254 has impressive performance concerning its heating capabilities and convenience. The heater has both hydronic and electric heating elements that ensure the temperature in your space remains controlled and at comfortable levels. It utilizes convectional air flow to heat up space. It comes with a heat retention system that ensures that your space remains warm even after turning it off. It has a big reservoir for the heating fluid which allows it to be energy efficient. Its ergonomic design is also a sight to behold. It comes in a clean crisp and shiny while color that easily blends with the other decorations in your space.
- It uses convectional flow to supply heat to space.
- It has heat retention capabilities.
- It has an attractive crisp design.
- It features both the hydronic and electric heating system.
- It weighs 19 pounds.
- It has a big reservoir that enhances energy efficiency.
- The heat retention capability ensures the room stays warm even after the heater has been switched off.
- The heater is attractive; it blends well with other room decorations.
- The hydronic and electric heating systems make it very efficient.
- It comes with a wide variety of accessories that you can use to customize it.
- The heater is heavy; it cannot be moved easily.
- The heater is big; it will take up a large space in your room.
The Qmark HBB1254 is an incredible baseboard heater going by its features. The heater works amazingly by heating up spaces. This is further proven by its impressive reviews on Amazon. The heater will ensure that your space stays warm all through. It is also designed to be energy efficient. This is very desirable as you do not want a heater that sends your electricity bills shooting through the roof. These incredible features warrant the heater consideration as one of the best baseboard heaters.
4) King 6CB2412BW 1250-Watt 240-Volt 6-Foot Baseboard Heater
King 6CB2412BW baseboard heater is yet another powerful heater. The King series is also a renowned brand as far as baseboard heaters are concerned. This king baseboard heater is a cheap and less maintenance option. It does not, however, compromise on its capability to provide sufficient warmth for your living space. It comes with a back-cable design that makes its appear organized. It has an attractive white finish that will make your space appear brighter. The materials used to make this heater are strong and crush-proof and hence durable. It uses convectional airflow to spread heat across the room. It has a full-length cut-out system to ensure it does not overheat and get damaged.
- It has a power draw of 1250 watt.
- It measures 6ft in length.
- It is made of a toughened ceramic material.
- It has a built-in wire way.
- It produces low-density heat.
- It weighs 16 pounds.
- The ceramic material is an attractive decoration.
- The material is also tough and durable.
- The heater has a cut-off system that protects against overheating.
- The inbuilt-cable design ensures no cables are lying around.
- It is a rather heavy heater; it cannot often be moved.
- The heater is a bit noisy.
This heater is a moderate performance baseboard heater. The King 6CB2412BW baseboard heater has acceptable heating capabilities and convenience levels. It does suffer some shortcomings though. First, the noise can be very annoying when you want some quiet time. This concern has also been marked by several of its reviews on Amazon. Majority of the reviews are positive though. The power draw is also a concern as it will ultimately mean higher electricity bills. Other heaters have same performances with less power draw. It is a cheap and low maintenance baseboard heater option though. This heater appears in this review because it is cheap and does not compromise too much on its performance.
5) Cadet Manufacturing 09956 240-Volt Baseboard Hardwire Electric Zone Heater
This is yet another entrant into the review from the Cadet baseboard heaters series. The Cadet 09956 does not disappoint in any way. It features all the signature features of the Cadet series. It transmits heat continuously. It is made of high quality, durable and reliable material. It is small in size so it won’t take up much of your space. It comes in an exquisite finish that will add a bright glow to your space. This 1500-watt monster of a heater will ensure no cold minute in your living room.
- It transmits heat continuously.
- It is made of 25-gauge steel.
- It has a 20-gauge junction with ground connection.
- It is hard wired.
- It is UL-listed
- It has a power draw of 1500 watt.
- It transmits heat continuously ensuring no cold moment in your space.
- The materials used to make it are tough and durable.
- It has a well finished and attractive ergonomic design. It adds up as a decoration piece in your space.
- It is UL-listed hence you are assured of safety while using it.
- It is small hence does not take much space.
- It is rather lightweight.
- It is hardwired; you might need to seek the services of a technician to complete the installation.
- Hardwiring may leave visible cables lying around, which appears untidy and undesirable.
- Its power draw might translate into higher electricity bills.
The Cadet 09956 delivers good performance and durability. This is possibly the two most desirable aspects of a baseboard heater. Its great performance is further proven by the impressive reviews it enjoys on Amazon. Its power draw is a concern though. You might have to pay higher electricity bills. Other than that, the heater delivers impressive performance that warrants its appearance on this review.
This is the third baseboard heater from the cadet series that we are featuring on this list. It lives up to the reputation of the series by having all the signatures features. It comes with durable and reliable materials and an exquisite finish. It makes it one of the options you should be considering to acquire. The Cadet 05534 has lower power draw than the 09956. This means it saves you from high electricity bills. It does not score any lower when it comes to performance and convenience. It uses convectional airflow to spread heat across space and dissipates heat continuously, ensuring no cold moment.
- It transmits heat continuously.
- It is made of 25-gauge steel.
- It is hard wired.
- It comes connected to a 20-gauge steel junction which has a ground connection.
- The out shell is fully powder-coated
- It is UL-listed
- It has a power draw of 1000 watt.
- It transmits heats continuously ensuring no cold sets in.
- It is made of durable and reliable materials.
- The powder-coating of the outer shell makes it is resistant to scratch and rust.
- It is UL-listed hence safety is guaranteed.
- It has an attractive finishing which makes it a great decoration piece.
- It is small in size hence will not take much of your space.
- It is hardwired; this might force you to get a technician to complete the installation.
- It requires an additional thermostat. This means you have to incur an extra cost.
The Cadet 05534 lives up to its promises as evidenced by some impressive reviews on its Amazon page. It has great performance, and it is energy efficient. It is extremely lightweight and small hence easy to move around. It is, however, hard-wired. The installation of hard-wired electrical appliances is always a challenge to many people. Its performance is great though. This, therefore, makes it a strong contender for the “best baseboard heater” title.
This is the second entrant to this review from the Fahrenheat series of baseboard heaters. The Fahrenheat PLF754 comes in the same design as the PLF1004. They share most features and delivers almost equally in performance and convenience. This Fahrenheat PLF754 is lighter than though. It uses hydronic powered heating, which is less power consuming. The heater comes in a crisp finish that ensures it adds up as a decorative piece in your space.
- The heater is hydronic powered.
- It has a thermal cut off system.
- It is UL-listed.
- It weighs 12.5 pounds.
- It has a clean and contemporary white finish.
- The white finishing will blend well with other decorative pieces in your space.
- The UL-listing means it is safe for use.
- The thermal cut off system ensures it does not overheat.
- It is ideal for use in all spaces
- It is a rather long heater; it will take up more of your space.
The Fahrenheat PLF754 is a heater that manages to remain simple in design but still deliver impressive performance. It reviews on Amazon are nothing short of exciting. If you are looking for a baseboard heater, this could easily fit in with your best option. Its size is not that big of a deal if it can deliver the desired results. They hydronic powered heater is very energy efficient and will also save you from high electricity bills.
8) Heat-Wave EB98937 Convection Baseboard Heater
The Heat-Wave EB98937 is a different baseboard heater in ergonomic design. The heater is convection powered. It makes use of air convectional currents to supply heat to space. It takes convenience in space heating to a whole new level. It comes with an adjustable thermostat to ensure maximum comfort. You get to set the temperature that you are most comfortable with, and the heater remains stable at that temperature. It comes with two heats settings and has ample preventive features to ensure it does not overheat. It is a small baseboard heater though, appropriate as a personal and supplemental heater. It heats up to a maximum space of 400 sq. Ft.
- It has a high heat setting of 1000 watts.
- It has a low heat setting of 500 watts.
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat.
- It has a tip-over switch connected to a thermal cut-off system.
- It weighs 5 pounds.
- It has multiple heat settings, which makes it convenient.
- It has ample preventive measures; hence it is safe and protected from damage.
- It is extremely lightweight and hence easy to move around with.
- It has an attractive, ergonomic design.
- It is small hence cannot be used in large spaces.
- It is not ideal for use in humid and wet conditions.
The Heat-Wave EB98937 is designed to be a personal heater that is portable. It does deliver extremely well within that scope. If you are looking for a heater suitable for just one person, then this is the heater for you. It is an exquisite finish and comes in an attractive and shiny black color. It will add up to your space as a decorative piece. Its use is limited to dry spaces only. Use in humid conditions will damage the heater. Overall, it is an effective heater as it delivers on the scope that it is designed to handle. Its impressive Amazon reviews also go a mile ahead to prove that.
9) Marley HBB750 Qmark Electric/Hydronic Baseboard Heater
The Qmark HBB750 is yet another Baseboard heater that we are reviewing form the Qmark series of baseboard heaters. It makes use of convectional air flow to deliver heat to all parts of the room. It has a heat retention capacity that allows it to keep radiating the room with warmth even after it has been switched off. It comes with a wide range of accessories that allows you to customize the heater to your preferences. It has low but adequate temperatures that are safe for environments with pets and children.
- The heater is convection Powered.
- It has heat retention capability.
- It comes with a wide range of accessories.
- It weighs 12 pounds.
- It is 34 inches in length.
- The heater has a great and crisp -looking ergonomic design.
- The heat retention system allows keeping heating the room even after getting switched off.
- The accessories allow you to customize the heater to look and produce heat according to your preferences.
- It has ample safety features that will give you peace of mind even when there are children around.
- The heater is rather long and will take up more of your space.
The Qmark HBB750 is a great performance heater that delivers impressive performance as far as heating up space is concerned. It uses the convectional currents in the air which are very effective in distributing warmth all over the room. This heater optimizes safety by having ample heat control features that ensure that it does not overheat. It is, therefore, a great option for many that would be looking for a baseboard heater. Its Amazon reviews are largely positive, further cementing the fact that it is a fantastic heater.
10) Fahrenheat PLF1504 240-volt Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
The Fahrenheat PLF1504 is another impressive heater that delivers great convenience and performance. Just like its other siblings in this review, it comes with a clean and crisp white finish, which is always a fantastic decorative addition to your space. It is a hydronic powered heater, though it makes use of an electric heating element too. The heating element is immersed in a reservoir of the heat transfer liquid. The Fahrenheat PLF1504 comes with a wire-way at the bottom back, which makes it appear tidy and organized after installation. It comes with the signature thermal cut-off to ensure that it does not overheat.
- The heater is hydronic powered.
- It has the thermal cut-off system
- The heater weighs 22 pounds.
- It is 2.9 inches long.
- It is UL-listed
- It has a power draw of 1500 watt.
- The Thermal cut-off system ensures it does not overheat hence it is safe and less prone to damage. The UL-listing further confirms this.
- It has an attractive, ergonomic design.
- It is ideal for use in virtually all spaces even humid ones.
- It combines both hydronic and electric heat element to enhance heat dissipation.
- It is heavy hence not easily moveable.
- It has a high-power draw. This might translate into higher electricity bills.
The Fahrenheat PLF1504 does not disappoint in any manner as far as its performance is concerned. It is a large baseboard heater and delivers the required temperatures. The high-power draw is a concern though. Other heaters will deliver almost the same performance with a lesser power draw. The Fahrenheat PLF1504 promises durability, stability, and convenience in that it is usable in all spaces. It could, therefore, pass easily as the best baseboard heater for many people.
This is the second heater from that King series and the last we will be reviewing. The King 4K1210BW is an upgrade of what its sibling in this review is. It comes in the same ceramic housing, and the same level of performance, but has less power draw. This is also a cheap and less maintenance option that many people would be willing to consider. It features an attractive, ergonomic design and a crisp, shiny, bright white finish. It had a back-wire design and built-in cable clamps that ensure it looks tidy after installation.
- It is made of a toughened ceramic material.
- It has built-in cable clamps.
- It has a full-length safety cut-out.
- It features a baked finish enamel
- It weighs 10.3 pounds.
- It heats up an area of up to 175 Sq. Ft.
- It is a less maintenance baseboard heater.
- It has features that enable it to remain tidy and look organized after installation.
- It has an attractive, ergonomic design. The ceramic material and white color make it look bright.
- The ceramic material is toughened to be crushproof.
- It is energy efficient.
- It takes more time to heat up space.
The King 4K1210BW is a great heater going by its performance. It is also energy efficient, considering that it is a less maintenance baseboard heater. It is small and hence it does not take much space. It does take a bit of time to heat up though. This could be annoying especially if you are exposed to chilly conditions. It is a less budget heater that delivers acceptable levels of convenience and heating capabilities hence its appearance on this review. It suffers some complaints on Amazon about it slowness in heating up space, but a bigger part of these reviews gives it a clean bill of health. It should, therefore, be one of the options on the top of your list if you are on a compressed budget.
When buying a baseboard heater, you are looking to supplement the heating capability of your central heating system, so that you don’t have to turn it high during the chilly season and incur massive electricity costs. The above review has looked at individual heaters and highlighted their features and merits. However, it is still not conclusive on which one is the best baseboard heater. You might wonder what factors are supposed to inform your decision of buying one baseboard heater instead of the other. First, it is important to realize that your situation is what determines which heater is the best for you. The decision to buy one and forgo the other is therefore subject to personal preferences and circumstances. For Instance, the size of the space you want to heat up is a crucial factor that you should consider while shopping for a baseboard heater. A baseboard heater mad for a small space will not be effective in a large space and vice versa. There are certain deliverables expected from a good baseboard heater. Consider whether a baseboard heater has these before purchasing it; these are;
- Energy Efficient
The sole purpose of purchasing the baseboard heater is to mitigate your energy costs. It is therefore not prudent to get a heater that is going to add to what you are already paying. The energy efficiency of a baseboard heater is informed by its power draw, visa vis its heat generation capacity.
The baseboard heaters are electrical equipment. They also generate heat. As such they can easily injure you if not handled well. Always ensure that the heater you buy has been certified as safe for use. This certification means that the heater has been tested and found to have ample safety features. Your safety and that of your family should remain a priority.
Ultimately you need to choose a heater that is within your budget. It is always important to ensure that you do not comprise on quality as you are looking for a cheap option. You for the heater with the best features if it is within your budget.
This now puts you in a better position to make an informed decision next time you go shopping for a baseboard heater. The review is an extremely long one and it might be difficult for you to recall every aspect of it. As such below is a summary comparison table of the baseboard heaters that we have reviewed.
|Fahrenheat PLF1004||Check Price|
|Cadet Manufacturing 09952 240-Volt||Check Price|
|Marley HBB1254 Qmark||Check Price|
|King 6CB2412BW 1250-Watt 240-Volt||Check Price|
|Cadet Manufacturing 09956 240-Volt||Check Price|
|Cadet Manufacturing 05534 120-Volt||Check Price|
|Fahrenheat PLF754 Hydronic Baseboard Heater||Check Price|
|Heat-Wave EB98937 Convection Baseboard Heater||Check Price|
|Marley HBB750 Qmark||Check Price|
|Fahrenheat PLF1504 240-Volt||Check Price|
|King 4K1210BW 1000-Watt 120-Volt||Check Price|
Best Baseboard Heaters 2018 – Buyer’s Guide (DEEP INSIGHT)
Here is a comprehensive buying guide for best baseboard heaters 2018 to have a deep insight for a better decision.
If you are simply tired of the traditional methods of warming your house, then baseboard heaters offer an ultimate solution. These heaters require a thermostat in their operations for heat regulation. The best baseboard heaters can fit under most windows or the wall to enhance heat convection. These locations enable you to install them even in smaller rooms such as the bathroom which may be a bit cold or drafty.
As a homeowner, you need a baseboard heater for their advantages including:
- They are ductwork free
- They are cheap and easy to install
- They are durable with up to 20 years lifespan
- They require little maintenance
- They offer a quiet way to warm your room
Types of Baseboard heaters and how to select the type that suits you
Are you stressed every time the winter season approaches? Worry not, with baseboard heaters; you can efficiently warm your household space. Baseboard heaters are safe and suitable for fixed spaces hence once you get the perfect size to fit your home, you will enjoy a warmer house and save up on future cost. These heaters are of two types based on their source of power. These include the electric and hydronic heaters. The heaters heat and distribute air in the room through convection. The key thing however in selecting your heater should be the quality.
Hydronic baseboard heaters
These baseboards use environment-friendly liquids such as water to regulate room temperature. The liquid relies on electricity to heat or another source of fuel up to an appropriate temperature. This hot fluid then goes through some heating units and heats the room air through convection. Even though the liquid may take longer to heat, once it is hot, the room retains this warmth for a longer time.
Hydronic baseboard heaters provide a suitable alternative for individuals with allergies as their heating is much softer and releases nontoxic byproducts in the process.
Electric baseboard heaters
The best rated electric baseboard heaters rely on electricity power to supply warmth to a room. For this reason, they have a thermostat for heat regulation. The heat circulates by convection to warm up the room. This process is faster compared to the hydronic baseboard heaters as heating is almost instant. However, they maintain this warmth for a shorter time hence the thermostat has more on and off cycles. In the long run, however, the best electric baseboard heaters are more energy efficient than the hydronic heaters. The best electric baseboard heaters also do not emit toxic byproducts in their heating process hence environmentally friendly.
What is the best baseboard heater?
Choosing a baseboard heater implies selecting the best among the best hydronic and electric baseboard heaters. Among the best baseboard manufacturers to consider before making your purchase decisions include Cadet, Fahrenheat and Qmark. The following therefore comprises the best features of the top three heaters from these brands:
Energy efficiency: If you are looking for the best baseboard heater that will save you money and be efficient in heat distribution in your space, then Fahrenheat PLF1004 is what you should buy. This heater is ideal for small rooms hence can conveniently fit in a bedroom or office space. The heater, filled with water, features good heat retention capacity that enables it to continue disseminating heat to your room for a long time after switching off electricity. Moreover, this heater is compatible with the 240-volt and 208-volt hence can achieve up to 1000watt and 750watt respectively.
On the other hand, if your room is big, then Marley HBB1254 Qmark Electric/Hydronic Baseboard Heater is the ideal selection. As it stands now, this is the best heater for big spaces. It features a power output of 1250 watts hence stronger convection flow. This feature, therefore, makes it a powerful heater. Being hydronic, it comprises an environmentally friendly fluid that increases its efficiency in heat supply for more extended periods such that the fluid continues to radiate heat even after you switch off the power source. This heater is also energy efficient, saving up on electricity bills due to its efficient consumption.
Efficiency in mounting: If you are considering building a new home or migrating into a new house, then Marley HBB1254 Qmark Electric/Hydronic Baseboard Heater is the ideal solution. This heater offers a clean and quiet heat supply when needed. Its uniqueness comes in that the entire baseboard can mount to any wall or floor type whether wood, tiles or carpet. Alternatively, you can also choose Cadet or Fahrenheat since being UL listed; they can safely mount on the wall or the floor.
Strength and durability: If you want a long-lasting baseboard heater that will serve you for many years to come, then Cadet Manufacturing 09952 should be your ideal purchase. This heater features a 25 gauge steel casing and a 20 gauge junction box with the ground that ensures strength and durability, qualifying it among the best rated electric baseboard heaters.
Security features: When it comes to baseboard heaters, just like other household electric appliances, you need to consider the safety features. For instance, the Fahrenheat PLF1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater comprises a thermal shut off function that automatically turns off the heater and reactivates it later when an obstruction occurs in the process of heating. This feature deals with the possibilities of fire hazards caused by overheating.
Warranty: This feature, in most cases, depicts a lot about the product quality. Usually, baseboard heaters, especially the hydronic have a shorter warranty period. However, with the Qmark, which tops among the best hydronic baseboard heaters; you can enjoy a warranty of up to 10 years.
Special Features that we need to consider when purchasing baseboard heaters
Safety features: The best baseboard heater if not properly installed poses a threat to homeowners. For this reason, ensure you enlighten your family on how to stay safe while using it to avoid potential accidents. Other safety features you need to check include the presence of the tip over switch and automatic overheat shut off. The tip-over switch switches the baseboard heater every time it is accidentally knocked, preventing fire outbreaks. Automatic overheat shut off, on the other hand, turns off the heater when the unit becomes too hot due to some fault.
Cost: The baseboard heater costs comprise of the initial, installation and maintenance costs. These costs, however, are not constant and thus depending on the design and manufacturer will vary from time to time. As an efficient buyer, you need to also factor in the efficiency of the baseboard heater since the more consumption it has, the more costly it will be. In as much as efficiency may cause you to pay a higher initial cost, it is worth in the long run. Maintenance costs, on the other hand, will be less with the right quality appliance, proper care and handling.
Source of power: To be efficient and save up on costs, select baseboards that use gas, oil or electricity power to run. These resources are easily available and cost-effective.
Baseboard design: Also of importance is the design you select for your baseboard. The design in terms of color and shape, you pick should match your home’s theme and still add aesthetic value.
Stand-alone versus integrated baseboard: Your decision to select either one of these baseboards will dictate their portability. Portable baseboard heaters offer convenience. In the portable case, you will need to set them up as a standalone unit with their thermostat. On the other hand, if you can consider setting your baseboard heater together with your other household appliances such that it is a part of your household thermostat system. Where this is the case, your family can access the warmth from the baseboard from whichever location in the house.
Size of your room: Before purchasing a baseboard heater, it is important that you establish the exact space of the area you want to heat. This is because some heaters are only limited to smaller rooms hence inefficient when installed in bigger ones. The size of the room will, in turn, dictate the size of heater you purchase saving you the hustle of returning the heater to the seller because of poor fitting in the long run. Alternatively, you can consider purchasing portable heaters as you will only need to put them where you want to heat and finally free the space once you are satisfied.
UL listing: Checking for this factor in the baseboard heater you purchase is important to ensure your safety. UL, a global safety science company conducts audits on these appliances and validate them to ensure the consumer’s safety and peace of mind. Therefore, when purchasing your baseboard heater, check the product to ensure it has the safety mark from this company.
While you may settle for a baseboard heater simply because it fits your space or meets your lifestyle needs, you need to be keen enough on its technical specifications in order to stay safe. These include the space you want to fit it, insulation and wattage, voltage, mounting style and warranty.
Space: An important consideration when installing your baseboard is its location and size with respect to your room size. As a rule, locate your baseboards at least 12 inches away from your furniture and appliances. Fit it 12 inches under the window or just place it on the floor.
Room size versus wattage: The size of your room dictates your baseboard heaters wattage. As a rule, to establish the ideal heater wattage to use, multiply your room’s square footage by 10. With the right wattage, your room will heat efficiently.
Voltage and wattage: Baseboard heaters have a wattage range from 500 up to 1500 watts. They, therefore, operate at either 120 or 240 volts. This is the same case with their thermostats. The 12 volt requires a single 20-amp breaker while the 240 volt requires a two-pole 20-amp breaker to feed the heater. Thus, where you purchase your thermostat separately, ensure you attain this match for efficiency. To select the right voltage for use in your home, consider the insulation in your home. A well-insulated room will hold in heat and consumes less power. Similarly, a poorly insulated home will force you to use a baseboard with a higher voltage as more heat escapes in the process. Among the factors that term your house as poorly insulated and therefore necessitating high voltage heaters include:
- Age factor: If your house is old, then it probably has some drafts and leaks. These elements are a disadvantage when it comes to making your purchase decision as the holes form a heat escape route forcing you to buy high voltage heaters to heat your rooms efficiently.
- Ceiling: Houses with ceilings have better insulation unlike those without. On the other hand, if your ceiling is located high in the roof, you will need a higher voltage heater to warm your room since the middle space offers a warm air escape route.
- Your windows are either leaking out heat or cannot hold in the air. Where either your windows cannot close well, or you have some broken windows, then you will require a higher voltage baseboard heater to warm your house efficiently.
Mounting style: Your baseboard heaters voltage will dictate its mounting style. If you pick the 120V, you can do the mounting on your own as these models require plugging on to a wall outlet. A safety advantage of the 120V models is their ability to prevent the flow of electricity to the heater when connected to the wrong voltage. The 240V models, on the other hand, require you to hire a professional to do the wiring for you and they are more permanent and safe when installed
Warranty: To ensure you get the best baseboard heater, select one with a warranty of 10 years or more. With this, you will cover expenses such as shipping and replacement parts costs. Moreover, longer warranties are an indication of a quality appliance.
FAQS about baseboard heaters
Can I install my heater under the window?
Yes, you can. Where you consider this option, ensure there are no movements and swings directly in front of your heater. The air in front of your heater should circulate freely for even heat distribution in the room. Moreover, you should ensure that the air coming through your window is warm enough to maintain the room’s temperature. Finally, keep furniture at least 12 inches away from your heater.
Which is the ideal place to mount my thermostat?
To ensure your thermostat functions appropriately, mount it either on the heater or separately on the wall. Mounting your thermostat on your heater will result in inefficiencies where your heater heats up faster than the air, switching off the thermostat.
Which heater voltage is appropriate to install in my house?
Your decision to install either the 120 volts or 240 volts in your house will depend on the size of your room. With a bigger room, you may require the 240 volts heater due to its high wattage. When making these installations, check your voltages with a voltmeter to check your power supply as a safety precaution. However, if you either lack the proficiency of handling the installations, consider the help of a professional for safe installations.
Can I utilize the on and off switches on my heater for control?
Heaters employ the thermostat mechanism, in their operation. The thermostat is accurate enough to switch off hence prevent overheating, maintaining the system at a safe and right temperature. For this reason, avoid using the on and off switches to regulate the temperatures.
Will my curtains affect the efficiency of the baseboard?
The curtain has no major impact on your heater’s functionality. However, ensure that you uncover the bigger part of your baseboard to allow the warm air it emits to circulate freely.
Can I change the original colors of my heaters?
Yes, you can. Baseboard heaters are usually cream or white. These colors, however, do not limit you from your choices and preferences. If you want to match their color with your house theme however, consider seeking your dealer’s advice.
Should I go for the integrated or electronic thermostat for my heater?
These two thermostats equally function well. However, for more accurate temperature regulations, consider the wall mounted thermostat. Besides their accuracy, their location on the wall’s interior is convenient for you to read and adjust accordingly.
Should I only go for programmable thermostats?
While the programmable thermostats sound like a better option, this does not mean that it is the best. However, it is efficient when it comes to energy consumption.
Finally, it is evident that baseboard heaters offer an efficient and effective way of warming households. Their versatility allows you to conveniently use them in the lounge, bedroom or office setting. The quiet operation they exhibit adds up to their benefit. As a homeowner intending to upgrade your heating system, consider the above best-rated baseboard heaters. Where you are unable to settle for one, it is important that you liaise with your dealer, at the end of the day, with a quality appliance, you are sure of quality services.
More Best Buying Guides: