Electricity is one of the most revolutionary inventions in the whole world. It is utterly scary to even think of a world without electricity. Electrical appliances bring great convenience to human life. You may have to do installations and repairs from time to time, on electrical appliances and systems. That where the best clamp meters come in handy. A clamp meter is used to measure current, voltage and other parameters related to electricity, by clamping it on the conductors. Electrical meters have seen a lot of improvements over decades. Today, digital meters are much more accurate and easy to use.
Clamp meters come in different designs and with different features. They are many types of clamp meters on the market. The suitability of the clamp meter depends on your requirements. It may not be easy for you to find out which is the best clamp meter, especially if you do not know the technical specifications. No need to worry though! We compiled a review of several clamp meters in the market. The review looks at the features, merits, and demerits of the clamp meters. If you are looking to buy a clamp meter, you will find this review very resourceful. First, below is a comparison table of the various clamp meters reviewed
- 1 Best Clamp Meters 2018
- 2 1) Fluke 323 – Best Clamp Meter
- 3 2) Etekcity MSR-C600 Clamp Meter
- 4 3) Amprobe ACDC-100 TRMS Best Clamp Meter
- 5 4) Uni-T B4Q094 UT210E Clamp Meter
- 6 5) Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter
- 7 6) Klein Tools CL800 Clamp Meter
- 8 7) Tacklife CM03 Clamp Meter
- 9 8) Klein Tools CL312 Clamp Meter
- 10 Best Clamp Meters 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- 11 Conclusion
Best Clamp Meters 2018
|Name||Price||Parameters measured||Current measurement limit||Voltage measurement limit|
|Fluke 323 Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Etekcity MSR-C600 Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Amprobe ACDC-100 TRMS Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Uni-T B4Q094 UT210E Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Klein Tools CL800 Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Tacklife CM03 Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
|Klein Tools CL312 Clamp Meter||Check Price||AC|
1) Fluke 323 – Best Clamp Meter
The epitome of a good clamp meter is, being able to provide accurate readings. Fluke is a leading brand in electrical measurements. The Fluke 323, is a digital clamp meter, that delivers great accuracy in measurements. It measures AC, AC and DC voltages and resistance. The meter is equipped with a true RMS (root mean square) sensing meter that enables it to display accurate readings, on both linear and non-linear loads. Wavefronts do not make a difference in the readings. The jaw opening is wide enough to accommodate a conductor measuring 30mm without touching it or interfering with the current. The meter is equipped with a beeper for measuring continuity. It has been certified as safe for use by the IEC.
- The meter measures AC currents of up to 400amps
- It measures both AC and DC voltages; up to 600v
- It measures resistance; up to 4Kiloohms
- It comes with a 2-year warranty
- It is rated for CAT IV installations of up to 300V and CAT III installations of up to 600V
- The meters have an audible beeper for detecting continuity
- It has high accuracy levels
- The meter meets all the safety standards
- The meter comes in a slim and convenient ergonomic design
- The meter’s lead ports are at the bottom. This could be very inconveniencing
- The clamp meter does not measure DC.
Fluke meters are popular for their accuracy levels and durability. The Fluke 323 seems to be no different. For simple home uses, this could be a great clamp meter. It may not be very appropriate for professional applications though. It lacks some important features, such as DC measurements. It is very effective and accurate though. It, therefore, is a great option for anyone looking for a simple clamp meter for home solutions.
The Eteckcity MSR-C600 is an auto-ranging clamp multimeter that measures, AC, AC and DC voltage, resistance, continuity and diode checking. The clamp measures up to 400A of AC, with an accuracy of 1.5%+5 from both ends. The jaw opening accommodates a conductor with a diameter of 26mm without interfering with the current. It has a data hold features and comes equipped with an easy-to-read large LCD. It comes with a convenient carrying pouch to enable you to move around with it. The meter has an automatic sleep feature that activates after 15 minutes of inactivity hence saving energy. It comes with an alkaline battery that boasts of a 150hrs battery life.
- It measures AC of up to 400A
- It measures AC and DC voltages of up to 600V
- It measures the resistance of up to 20MegaOhms
- The jaw opening accommodates a conductor of up to 26mm in diameter
- It has the data hold feature
- It has an auto-sleep feature
- The meter has good levels of accuracy
- The auto-sleep mode saves energy
- The carry pouch is very convenient when you are moving around with the meter
- It comes with a large LCD for easy readings
- The meter does not give DC readings
- The meter is made of fragile materials; the plastic breaks up easily.
The Eteckcity MSR-C600 is yet another clamp meter designed for simple uses. This is probably not the meter you would go with to high-level electrical installations. It is a fantastic clamp meter for simple home repairs though. It has acceptable levels of accuracy and some convenient features that will make your work easier. The meter has the data hold feature, which allows you to refer to prior readings. That’s is very convenient. Overall, the Eteckcity MSR-C600 is an above average clamp meter.
Amprobe ACDC-100 is a digital clamp meter that measures both AC and DC currents and voltages. The clamp meter measures AC up to 800 A, AND DC of up to 1000A. It also measures capacitance and resistance, as well as continuity and diode checking. It has the RMS sensor that ensures high levels of accuracy. It handles both linear and non-linear loads, whether sinusoidal or non-sinusoidal. The jaw opening can accommodate a conductor of 50mm in diameter. It also allows inrush readings that displays the measurements of the entire meter. The meter has complied with all the safety standards set by the IEC.
- The meter measure AC of up to 800A
- It measures DC of up to 1000A
- It measures the resistance of up to 40 M-Ohms.
- It has continuity detecting beepers
- It is certified by the IEC for category III installations of up to 600v
- The meter has high levels of accuracy
- It measures all electrical parameters hence suitable for professional use
- The continuity beepers are convenient in detecting short and open circuits
- It comes with a large backlit LCD which makes it easy to take readings
- The meter suffers and inaccurate voltage output measure between phases.
Amprobe ACDC-100 is an all-around digital clamp meter that delivers high levels of accuracy. This is the type of meter you need if you are a professional technician or engineer. It is arguably the best clamp meter for an electrician. It measures virtually all the basic electrical parameters. It has been certified as safe and effective too. It is equipped with several convenience features that make it more desirable. The Amprobe ACDC-100 is a top of the range clamp meter. It is arguably the best clamp multimeter featured on the list.
The Uni-T is yet another all-around clamp meter, with great accuracy levels. The clamp meter has a true RMS sensor that ensures optimum accuracy. It can measure both AC and DC currents and voltages. It also measures capacitance, resistance, continuity and checks diodes. The meter is ultra-portable hence very convenient. It seems like the best hvac clam meter we have in the review. All these are very desirable features on a clamp meter.
- The meter measures AC and DC voltages of up to 600V
- It measures AC and DC currents of up to 100A
- It has non-contact voltage detection with LED indication
- It comes with a large backlit LCD.
- The backlit display is very convenient while using the meter in poorly lit areas
- The meter has high levels of accuracy
- The meter measures all basic electrical parameters
- The meter is very portable. You can conveniently move around with it.
- The AC and DC measurement is capped at a low level.
The Uni-T B4Q094 clamp meter is a fantastic meter, though it seems to have a limitation concerning the amount of current it can measure. This makes it rather unsuitable for high-level electrical works. For simple home solutions, it would work perfectly. It has good accuracy levels and measures all parameters. This meter seems like the best clamp meter for hvac and home applications that we have on this review.
The Tekpower UT202A clamp meter is a simple meter for home applications. It measures AC and voltage, as well as DC voltage. It also measures resistance and continuity. It comes with the data hold and auto-ranging features. The jaw opening accommodates conductors of up to 26mm. The meter comes with a carrying case to enable you to move around with it easily.
- The meter measures AC up to 600A
- It measures AC and DC voltage
- It has the data hold feature
- It has automated ranging
- The jaw opening allows a conductor of 26mm in diameter
- The meter has a very compact size
- The carrying case makes it very convenient in cases where you have to move a lot
- It has good accuracy levels
- The data hold feature enables reference to prior measurements, which is very convenient
- The display has no backlight; it might be difficult to take readings in a poorly light area
- The meter takes readings from individual conductors only. It does not take readings from 2 or 3 coupled conductors
- It has no DC measurement
The Tekpower UT202A appears to be a moderate performance clamp meter. It is for less demanding uses. It does not incorporate all parameters in its measurement capabilities. It might come at a more favorable price tag though. It has several great features, and it works efficiently within its mandate. The very compact design and its portability are very desirable features. This meter is the best budget clamp meter. It might be a great option if you are on a tight budget.
Klein Tools is a very popular brand of electrical measurement equipment. The CL800 is a fantastic digital meter. It has AC and DC voltage measuring capacity. It also measures AC currents. Its accuracy is enhanced by the automatic ranging and true RMS sensor features. It also measures resistance, continuity, frequency, capacitance and checks diodes. It is also equipped with a thermocouple probe that measures the temperature the CL800 clamp meter is a low impedance meter.
- The meter measures AC and DC voltages
- It measures AC currents of up to 600 A
- It has automatic ranging and true RMS sensors
- It comes with a thermocouple probe
- It identifies and eliminates stray voltages
- It leads to the meter have double insulation
- The meter has high levels of accuracy
- It eliminates stray voltages; this adds more accuracy on the readings
- It has double insulation hence safe
- The meter has very low impedance; it saves energy
- The meter suffers from slow response
The Klein tools CL800 clamp meter is yet another moderate performance meter. The accuracy levels are great, and it has several convenience features. However, the meter lacks DC measurement. It has additional measurement parameters such as temperature, and it eliminates stray voltages. These are very convenient features. The meter could work well in high-level electrical applications, but you may require an extra meter because of its some measurement parameters. Its accuracy levels are applaudable though.
The Tacklife CM03 is where measurements and technology meet. The CM03 is a full smart clamp meter. You get your readings at the press of a button. This helps improve its efficiency and yours too. It measures AC, resistance, frequency, continuity and AC/DC voltage. The meter has great ergonomics that enables it to sit comfortably in your palm. It is tightly closed to reduce interference from external components. It has the data hold feature and comes with a brightly backlit LCD. It also enjoys IEC certification that ensures that the meter does not put you at the risk of electric shock and injury.
- The meter measures DC and AC voltages of up to 600V
- It measures AC of up to 200V
- It has the data hold feature
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It comes with a backlit LCD
- The meter has high accuracy levels
- Its smart features make it very efficient
- The data hold feature enables reference to prior readings; this is very convenient
- It has great ergonomics which enable a firm and well-placed grip
- It has optimum safety features
- The meter does not measure DC.
The Tacklife CM03 IS yet another great clamp meter, whose only limitation is lacking DC measurement parameter. It applies to high-level electrical installations since it has high levels of accuracy and numerous convenient features. The meter is also certified by the IEC further cementing its effectiveness. The meter also enjoys impressive clamp meter reviews on Amazon. Overall, its operation is top-notch. It works impressively for the functions that are within its mandate.
Lastly, we encounter yet another clamp meter from the Klein tools brand. The meter has an auto-ranging feature and true RMS sensors. These ensure optimum accuracy in your meter. The meter measures AC, resistance, continuity, frequency and AC/DC voltages. It is also equipped with a thermocouple probe that takes temperature measurements. The meter is an entry level meter, hence suitable for light applications and simple home uses.
- The clamp meter measures voltages of up to 600v
- It has a thermocouple probe
- It has auto-ranging and true RMS sensors
- It is a low-impedance meter
- The meter has high levels of accuracy
- The thermocouple probe is very convenient
- The low-impedance makes it energy efficient
- It has double insulation which adds an extra layer of protection
- It is an entry-level meter. it cannot be used in demanding conditions
The Klein tools CL312 meter is a simple home use meter. It will deliver an impressive performance within those limits. Its accuracy is great, and it comes with numerous convenience features. For an entry-level meter, its effectiveness is good enough. It may have some misgivings, but it rises above many other meters of the same caliber. This is the best DC amp clamp meter
Best Clamp Meters 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
We have looked at several clamp meters and their respective features, and it would be safe to bet that you know have an idea of what the best clamp meter is supposed to be. The review has not concluded on which one is the best though. You may have noticed that the meters are designed for application in different situations and areas. Therefore, the best clamp meter for you will depend on your situation. Entry and medium level meters are appropriate for light home use, while high-level meters are designed for use in professional electrical applications. Before deciding to purchase a particular clamp meter, you need to consider some factors. The factors are;
The accuracy levels of the meter are very paramount. You don’t want a meter that gives you wrong readings. Normally, no clamp meter will be 100% accurate. However, the readings a meter gives should be as close as possible to the exact value. In professional applications, high accuracy is very crucial. It wouldn’t hurt to have excellent accuracy in your reading while doing simple home installations and repairs too.
Clamp meters are made to measure basic electrical parameters. These include current, voltage, resistance and capacitance. They also check continuity in conductors and diodes. Other meters will measure temperature too. A meter that measures all the mentioned parameters is very desirable. The more parameters a meter can measure, the more suitable it is. A good meter should at least have the basic measurement parameters.
Clamp meters interact with electric current. You can never underestimate the harm the electric shocks can cause. As such, the meter you get should have the standard safety requirements in place. Meters that have met the standard safety requirements have IEC certification. It is crucial that you ensure the meter you purchase has this certification. Your safety is paramount. It is also prudent that you follow the laid-out procedures of use to ensure you remain safe. The more safety features a clamp meter has, the more suitable it is.
- Intended Use
This should be the last factor to consider. As mentioned above, the kind of meter a professional technician needs and the one you need for simple home repairs are different. There is no point in buying an expensive clamp meter when you can’t exploit its full potential.
Having gone through various clamp meters, and came up with a buying guide, it would be easy for you to walk into a power tools shop and select the best clamp meter for yourself. The prices of the clamp meters are different, and it is important that you compare them against each other to ensure you get the maximum value for the money paid. The review would be a useful tool; especially if you are not conversant with the technical aspects of electrical measurements. It is a long review though. Expecting you to remember all the details in it would be far-fetched. As such, below is a summary table with all the clamp meters reviewed as well as their respective features. The table highlights the average price of each clam meter too.
|Fluke 323 Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Etekcity MSR-C600 Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Amprobe ACDC-100 TRMS Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Uni-T B4Q094 UT210E Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Tekpower UT202A Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Klein Tools CL800 Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Tacklife CM03 Clamp Meter||Check Price|
|Klein Tools CL312 Clamp Meter||Check Price|