Leather has been with us since time immemorial. It is one of those materials that will never run out of fashion. Leather is held in high regard across the world, and products made from leather are always seen as superior to their counterparts. Leather is widely used in making jackets, shoes, couches, belts, wallets and many other items. In all these instances, the leather pieces need to be stitched together. Leather is a rather tough material, and conventional sewing machines may not be very effective. Getting the best leather sewing machines is paramount to sewing a great leather product.
Leather sewing machines come in different types. You might wonder, what is the best industrial sewing machine for leather. If you are a sewing enthusiast, you will need a machine that can deliver optimum efficiency and convenience. Finding out which is the best among the many available types may prove to be a very daunting task. It does not have to be that difficult though! We understand how important it is for you to have a great leather sewing machine. That’s why we tasked ourselves with investigating various leather sewing machines and doing a review on each. The following review will help you compare different leather sewing machines and find out which one is best suited for you. First, the table below highlights the various leather sewing machines featured in the review.
Best Industrial Leather Sewing Machine Reviews
1. Singer Heavy Duty 4423
Singer is one of the most popular brands of sewing machines. The singer Heavy duty is one of the brand’s all-purpose sewing machine. The machine works great with all types of materials including leather. It has the strength to sew through thick seams of tough leather. The sewing machine comes with 23 built-in stitches. The stitches include basic, decorative, stretch and buttonhole stitches. It allows an expansive variety of sewing designs. From fashion, quilts, crafts and home décor the possibilities with the singer heavy duty 4423 are unlimited. The sewing machine comes with numerous convenience features that will make your sewing session an endeavor to look forward to.
- 4423 SEWING MACHINE WITH HEAVY DUTY 725 ACCESSORY KIT
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts,...
- The sewing machine features 23 built-in stitches
- It comes with an automatic threading system
- It has a sewing speed of 100 stitches per minute
- It has a heavy-duty metal frame
- The sewing machine comes with mechanical systems
- It has a transparent bobbin cover
- It comes with 25-years warranty
- The numerous stitches allow a wide variety of sewing designs
- The sewing machine is strong enough to pierce through thick seams of leather
- The sewing machine’s frame is made of heavy-duty metal, hence durable
- It comes with numerous convenient accessories. They include; zipper foot, quilting, bobbin, screwdriver.
- The sewing machine has a high speed. This allows you to work faster if you are experienced.
- The machine’s motor is very strong.
- The machine’s feed area tends to jam frequently. Adhering to feeding instructions will solve these challenges though.
A great lather sewing machine is supposed to be powerful, fast and convenient to use. The singer heavy duty leather sewing machine does not disappoint in any of the aspects. The jamming tendencies could be annoying though. The machine comes with precise instructions of use. Adhering to these instructions will put most of these challenges at bay. Having a variety of stitches to experiment with is a very desirable feature of the sewing machine. This heavy leather sewing machine enjoys many impressive reviews on Amazon, further proving its prowess in producing a perfect finish in stitching works.
2. Singer Sew Mate 5400
As mentioned earlier, singer is a renowned brand of sewing machines. The singer sew mate is yet another sewing machine that is made for power and convenience. It comes with 60 inbuilt stitches making the variety of designs at your disposal inexhaustible. 40 of those stitches are decorative. These decorative stitches are very useful in creating stitching patterns. Your leather products do not have to be identical to any others with these stitches at your disposal. The sewing machine, though made of heavy-duty metal, is relatively lightweight and portable.
- SINGER HANDY SEWING MACHINE: Offering 60 built-in stitches, the SINGER 5400 Sew Mate sewing machine includes a large variety of stitches for all types of sewing, such as fashion sewing, quilting,...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Sewing’s biggest timesaver. Easily threads the needle without frustration or eye strain.
- The sewing machine has 60 inbuilt stitches
- It has an auto-threading system
- The machine enables adjustable stitch length and width
- The machine comes with 25 years warranty
- All systems of the sewing machine are computerized
- It has an LED bulb that lights up the work area
- It has a stitching speed of 75 stitches per minute
- The sewing machine has a wide variety of sewing design
- The machine is fairly portable
- It is a great machine for beginners
- The fully computerized systems are very convenient
- The machine is made of very durable materials
- The LED light lights up the work are very brightly
- The sewing machine lacks a wide enough work table. This might limit the size of projects you can handle.
- Singer machines tend to jam at the feeding area.
The singer sew mate 5400 does not disappoint in many aspects that inform a great sewing machine. It has acceptable power levels and amazing convenience features. These features make it easy to operate the machine. It is a great machine for beginners. It could also prove to be the best sewing machine for denim and leather. Its power is enough to stitch firmly through leather materials. All, these aspects point towards a very effective sewing machine, in as much as it has some misgivings. Overall, the performance of the machine is above average.
3. Sailrite Heavy-Duty
The Sailrite sewing machine is a true epitome of a powerful sewing machine. Though it has some rather old-school features, the power it delivers is nothing short of impressive. The machine’s power is perfect for leather applications. It allows you to create straight or zigzag-patterned stitches. Its power allows it to penetrate through the thickest of leather seams. Its systems are fully mechanical. You, therefore, have to pedal it with your feet. The power transfer is 100% though. None of your energy is wasted in the process. The presser foot is wide enough to allow enough room for you to place your feet comfortably. If you find yourself fascinated by old systems, these could be the sewing machine for you. Make no mistake; old is gold! It delivers an exciting performance.
- Zigzag/straight stitch walking foot sewing machine that easily sews through heavy materials like sailcloth, heavy canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics (tried and true in up to 10 layers of heavy...
- Includes the Power Plus Balance Wheel, which offers twice the power and size of a traditional flywheel.
- The sewing machine comes in a patented posi-pin clutch system
- The machine has 100% power transfer
- It comes with a built-in piping tunnel
- It features adjustable stitch length and width
- It comes with four bobbins
- It comes with a comprehensive user guide
- The 100% power ensure optimum energy usage
- It has a high foot lift space and a wide presser foot, allowing your feet to remain comfortable while pedaling
- The sewing machine is made of very durable materials.
- The machine delivers enough power to stitch through tough materials. This is very desirable while working with leather
- All the systems of the machine are mechanical. You might have to use more energy using it as compared to computerized machines
The Silrite Heavy-duty is arguably the best leather suing machine we have on the review. Leather is a rather tough material, which needs a strong machine and tight stitches to hold together. The Silrite delivers on this mandate with great efficiency. Its use might not be the most convenient or easy. However, it comes with a detailed user guide, which is easy to follow. The Silrite Heavy-duty seems like a very effective sewing machine if the reviews on Amazon are anything to go by. Overall, with this sewing machine, you will not have to worry about broken needles and tough materials. That’s quite desirable! Right?
4. Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
The Singer Quantum sewing machine is revolutionary, and it’s like no other. It has 600-stitches which allow you an unlimited scope of design experimentation. The machine is fully computerized and comes with an auto-pilot stitching feature. This can save you a lot of energy. The sewing machine has convenient control features that are easy to use. It has a high sewing speed that will help you work faster. It comes with a backlit LCD-display panel, which allows an easy user interface. It comes with various accessories that make your sewing sessions more convenient. The accessories include; embroidery foot, open toe foot, all-purpose foot and several others.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye...
- The sewing machine has 600 inbuilt stitches
- Its systems are fully computerized
- It has an automatic-threading system
- It has 13 one-step buttonholes
- It has automatic reverse and power control
- It comes with the electronic autopilot feature
- It comes with a 25-year warranty period
- It has a speed of 850 stitches per minutes
- The many stitches allow an inexhaustible variety
- The fully computerized systems are very convenient
- It is made of very durable features
- It comes with easy to use features
- The LCD-display panel makes it easy for user interface
- It has high sewing sped that allows you to work faster
- The bobbin of the machine tends to Jam from time to time. This is a rather concerning issue typical of all singer sewing machines.
- The fully computerized systems might make the user interface a bit difficult for some people to interact with or set it up. It comes with a comprehensive guide though.
The Singer quantum machine stands out with its huge variety of stitches. With 600 inbuilt stitches, many of them being decorative, the possibilities made possible by these machines are unlimited. It is fully computerized meaning you work faster, more conveniently and efficiently. Its reviews on Amazon are quite encouraging too. All its features make it a perfect sewing machine for leather applications. The machine could work well as a walking foot sewing machine for leather. The Singer quantum sewing machine is arguably the best leather sewing machine we have reviewed so far.
5. Singer Tradition 2259
The Singer Tradition 2259 sewing machine is a moderate performance sewing machine. It comes with 19 inbuilt stitches, and it delivers moderate power. The sewing machine has one 4-step buttonhole. It comes with a heavy-duty metal frame and a high presser foot lift. It has computerized systems making it very convenient and easy to use. It features adjustable stitch length and width. The machine enables free arm sewing which makes it easy to reach difficult-to-reach places such as collars and cuffs. Its power is moderate, but enough to stitch through light leather. It comes with a 25-year warranty.
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Tradition 2259 portable sewing machine features 19 built-in stitches, a built-in 4-step buttonhole and a heavy-duty metal frame making sewing creative projects fun...
- HIGH PRESSER FOOT LIFTER: The SINGER Tradition 2259 sews several layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be raised to a higher position for easy positioning of your project
- The sewing machine has 19 inbuilt stitches
- It features one 4-step buttonhole
- It is equipped with a heavy-duty metal frame
- It features adjustable length and width
- It comes with a 25-year warranty
- It has the automatic needle threader
- The various stitches offer a variety of stitching designs
- The sewing machine is made of durable materials
- The machine comes with numerous convenient accessories
- The free arm sewing allowance makes it easy to access squeezed areas
- The auto-threading system is very convenient.
- The high presser foot lift allows more power generation, while your feet remain comfortable
- The machine has enough power to stitch through light leather
- The machine has jamming tendencies, around the bobbin and feeding areas.
The Singer Tradition machine has all the signature features of singer sewing machines, only that it delivers less power than the others. However, its deliverables are good enough to enable some great results as far as leather stitching is concerned. It still suffers the same jamming tendencies experienced with almost all singer sewing machines. Reading the user manual and following the instructions as provided can go a long way to ensure you don’t experience these challenges though. Overall, this sewing machine provides an option for someone looking for a great machine for their leather works but is on a compressed budget.
6. Janome HD 3000
The Janome HD 3000 is a top of the range sewing machine, which promises a powerful performance and a convenient experience. It has 18 inbuilt stitches, with an easy stitch selection platform. It comes with the automatic needle threader that makes it easy for you to set. The sewing machine is jam proof. This is very desirable, especially after experiencing some sewing machines with jamming issues. The machine delivers an impressive speed of 860 stitches per minute.
No products found.
- The sewing machine has 18 inbuilt stitches
- It has speed 860 stitches per minute
- It is equipped with an adjustable presser
- It is jam proof
- The numerous stitches allow a wide variety of stitching designs
- The machine is powerful; it can stitch through leather easily
- The adjustable presser enables you to set it to allow maximum comfort for your feet
- The sewing machine is jam proof. You do have to worry about it stalling now and then
- The automatic threader is very convenient
- It comes with numerous accessories that make it very convenient.
- The machine requires 110v input voltage. This input voltage might not be available in many countries. Using it under such circumstances might be difficult.
The highlighted misgiving does not touch on the performance of the Janome HD sewing machine. The machine delivers enough power to stitch through thick seams of leather conveniently. It is fully computerized making its operation and use very convenient. Some people might find it difficult to set it up, but reading the user manual helps in such situations. Overall, the performance of the sewing machine is pretty impressive.
No products found.
7. Brother ST371HD Sewing Machine
Lastly, we review another sewing machine from the brother series. Brother is yet another very popular brand of sewing machines. The Brother ST371HD is with some very impressive deliverables. It could easily stand out as the best sewing machine for leather on this review. The materials used are durable and dependable. It comes with 37 inbuilt stitches and an impressive speed of 800 SPM. It has a metal frame, though it is extremely lightweight as compared to other sewing machines. It has numerous decorative stitches that give you a wide variety of which you can turn your leather stitching works into a masterpiece.
- Versatile, durable and dependable, designed to tackle a wide range of fabric weights and thicknesses, from multiple layers of heavyweight fabrics and outdoor projects to lightweight silks
- Heavy duty features include metal needle plate for smoother feeding, heavyweight needles, metal thread hook, spring action zigzag foot for thick seams and nonstick foot for suede and other fabrics
- The sewing machine has 37 inbuilt stitches
- It comes with a metal frame
- It is lightweight
- It is equipped with an LED bulb to light up the work area
- It has a stitching speed of 800 stitches per minute
- The sewing machine is lightweight, hence portable
- It has a very fast sewing speed; this would allow you to work faster
- It is equipped with 37 stitches; this gives you are a wide variety
- The sewing machine is made of durable and dependable materials
- The sewing machine comes with some accessories, which make it very convenient.
- The LED light brightly illuminates the work area
- Though it sits on a metal frame, the machine has a lot of fragile plastic parts that break easily.
The Brother ST371HD is an effective and powerful machine. Its power levels are enough to power through thick leather seams. This tandy leather sewing machine comes with some other fantastic features, which makes its use very convenient. It comes with an easy to use user interface. All these are features you worthy of getting excited about. The deliverables of the machine are impressive. It could easily be the best sewing machine for leather bags. Good maintenance is required for it to last long, just as in any other gadget. Brother ST371HD is one of the top-notch sewing machines we have featured in this review.
Choosing the Best Industrial Leather Sewing Machine – Buyer’s Guide
The review above has highlighted the feature of various sewing machines that we established works great with leather. I would be safe to bet that you now have a good enough idea about what makes up a great sewing machine. The review might appear inclusive about which one is the best. The best machine is informed by your circumstances, and there are factors that you are supposed to consider before settling on purchasing a particular one. These factors include;
As already established, leather is a rather tough material. It requires a sewing machine with enough power to firmly stitch through it. Types of leather differ too. There is leather that is light and easy to stitch through.There is leather that is tough and difficult to pierce. The thickness of leather seams in your design counts too. You should carefully consider these factors. The tougher the leather, or the thicker the seams, the more power the sewing machine you get should be.
The sewing machines above come with some stitches. Many stitch options give you the liberty to incorporate different designs in your sewing. The number of decorative stitches is important too as it informs how much you can decorate your piece. Normally, sewing machines with more stitch variety are desirable.
The sewing machine you get should be easy to use, and you should be comfortable while using it. The different sewing machines come with different accessories to help you in your sewing. They are also differently designed to ensure you do not use much energy while at it. Be sure to test a sewing machine and determined how convenient and comfortable it feels for you. Other features such as the auto threading system are very convenient, as you do not have to strain your eyes trying to tread the needle.
These sewing machines have different price tags attached to them. The difference is informed by use of different materials and their different efficiencies. The aim is to get the most efficient sewing machine that you can afford. You should compare the price of a machine with another with the same features to ensure you get value for your money.
The review of individual sewing machines and the buying guide above should put you in a better position to choose a sewing machine easily. The review is expansive. You may not remember every detail of it. As such, below is a summary table, of the highlighted leather stitching machines and their respective prices.