This post contains affiliate links which provides us a commission at no cost to you.
Read the full disclosure here.
A chainsaw is one of the most convenient outdoor power equipment, especially if you run a farm. Chainsaws have been in use for quite a long time now. However, the technology used has continued to evolve. Today we have some of the most revolutionary chainsaws. Whether it’s for felling and chopping trees or cutting off those hanging branches, the applications of chainsaws are wide. In all these endeavors, you need to have the best chainsaw, to ensure safe and convenient operation. A chainsaw is used in heavy duty wood cutting activities. It needs to have enough power and allow easy operation, to ensure optimum performance.
Today, there are many types of chainsaws available. Finding the best chainsaw for the money may, therefore, not be very easy. The different types have different features and performances. Most people may not know the technical aspects of a chainsaw, like having the best chainsaw chains. This will make it hard for such people to identify which chainsaw would work best for them. If you are one of them, you do not have to worry! You have arrived at the right place. To ensure you can tell which chainsaw is the best, we have compiled a review of various chainsaws in the market, which we have established to be superior. The review will highlight the respective features of the chainsaws as well as their merits and demerits. Below is a comparison table of the chainsaws featured.
7 Best Chainsaws for the Money
1. Oregon CS300 Cordless Self-Sharpening Chainsaw – Best Chainsaw
- Brushless motor provides increased efficiency and power output
- PowerSharp chain minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw within seconds. The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction...
The performance of a chainsaw is largely banked on two aspects; its power and its convenience. The Oregon chainsaw has great convenience features like being cordless, a self sharpening system, and having a rapid charger. This gives you unlimited freedom of movement and quick re-charges while in your cutting endeavors. The chainsaw comes with an industry leading powerhouse battery pack of 6.0Ah, but Oregon also offers 2.6Ah and 4.0Ah battery packs at slightly lower pricing if you don’t need a longer lasting chainsaw. With the rapid charger, you’ll get back to a full charge in 1-2 hours and should last at least an hour on a charge. In terms of cutting wood, you’ll get at least 600 pieces of wood chopped on a single charge, compared to about 250 with the 2.6Ah or 400 pieces of firewood with the 4.0Ah. The chainsaw has a 16-inch bar guide and no load chain speed of 2796 FPM.
- The chainsaw has a 6.0Ah standard battery
- It has 60 minutes run time on a single charge
- It is equipped with the automatic oiling system
- The chainsaw weighs 12 pounds
- It has a 16-inch guide bar
- It has a built-in PowerSharp chain sharpening system
- The chainsaw is lightweight hence convenient
- The automatic oiling system saves you a lot of trouble
- The chainsaw has no warm-up period
- It is cordless and easily portable
- The inbuilt chain sharpening system adds on to the convenience
- Self sharpening system
- Has adequate safety measures
- The battery life could be better with the less powered battery packs
- The battery needs to be often charged to ensure it stays healthy; it will die off if it stays without charge for long.
The Oregon CS300 chainsaw is perfect for light applications. If you are looking for a chainsaw to trim the tree branches and hedges around your home, this could be the chainsaw for you. It delivers enough power to handle such applications. It has numerous convenient features, which make it a superior and desirable chainsaw. The chainsaw is cordless and does not come with most of the hassles associated with getting a gas chainsaw running. Overall, the performance of the Oregon chainsaw is at the top of our list.
2. Greenworks Chain Saw – Best Chainsaw Under 300
- Brushless motor provides your tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool. Battery and charger sold separately
- Brushless motor delivers 30% more superior torque for the greatest cutting performance
The Green works chainsaw is a powerful and convenient chainsaw. These two aspects help it rise as one of the best chainsaws we have in the review. The 40v chainsaw is cordless and comes with a 4.0Ah lithium-ion battery, which delivers a desirable long runtime. The battery runs a strong brushless motor, to create impressive levels of torque and power. The chainsaw has less vibration and noise than many others and it is lightweight. The chainsaw can make 150 log cuts, or last for 120 minutes run time on a single charge.
- The chainsaw is cordless
- It has a 4.0Ah lithium-ion battery
- It is equipped with a strong brushless motor
- It has a low kickback chain
- The chainsaw is equipped with an electronic chain braking system
- It weighs 10.36 pounds
- It runs for120 minutes on a single charge
- The battery lasts long
- The brushless motor is strong. Hence it delivers more power
- The chainsaw has less noise and vibration
- The electric chain braking system is very convenient and enhances safety
- The chainsaw is lightweight
- It is cordless. This gives you an awesome level of mobility while using it
- Some say the chainsaw has issues with oil leakage
The Greenworks chainsaw seems to be a fantastic power machine. The chainsaw has great power levels and remains amazingly less noisy and with little vibration. The Powerful chainsaw is also equipped with state of the art safety systems to ensure you have peace of mind while operating it. The battery is strong enough to last long. All these are indicators of a great chainsaw. The Greenworks is the best chainsaw under 300 dollars. The oil leakages are concerning though. Overall, with such power and convenience, no one can dispute the effectiveness of the Greenworks chainsaw.
3. MAKITA UC4051A Chainsaw
- "Tool-less" blade and chain adjustments for convenient operation and easy maintenance
- Rubberized grip handles are ergonomically designed for comfort
The Makita UC4051A is an electric chainsaw with a 16-inch bar. The chainsaw is corded and is always connected to the mains. Though this may limit your movement as you operate it, the chainsaw delivers optimum power. It has great ergonomics and a rubberized handle that ensure you have a firm and comfortable grip. The chainsaw is equipped with an inbuilt current limiter, which controls the load on the motor and protects it from blowing. It comes with an easy to inspect, large oil reservoir. The reservoir has a window from which you can check the oil level easily. The chainsaw has the electric chain braking system and an auto-chain sharpener. Makita chainsaw has zero emissions.
- The chainsaw has a 16-inch bar
- It allows tool-less chain adjustment
- It is equipped with the electric chain brake
- The chainsaw weighs 15.7 pounds
- The electric chain is corded
- It is equipped with a current limiter
- It has a rubberized grip handle
- The chainsaw delivers high levels of power
- It comes with a convenient large oil reservoir
- The electric chain brake ensures you are safe
- It is a zero-emission chainsaw
- The current limiter protects the chainsaw from damage
- The rubberized grip handle allows comfortable handling
- It has a large trigger switch which is easy to operate
- The chainsaw has a smooth start.
- The chainsaw is corded; your mobility while using it is limited
- The chainsaw’s weight is on the higher end.
The power of the Makita chainsaw is in no doubt. If you are looking for an all-powerful chainsaw, this could be the chainsaw for you. It is arguably the best electric chainsaw we are going to feature in the review. It has numerous convenience features, though its mobility is limited. The chainsaw has zero emission which is very desirable. The fumes emitted by some chainsaws could be harmful to your health. It comes with numerous safety features, that protect both you from getting injured and the machine from getting damaged. The Makita chainsaw seems to have just about everything you would want in a chainsaw.
4. WORX WG303.1 Chainsaw – Best Chainsaw Under $100
- [AUTO-TENSION] Patented system prevents over-tightening and increases the life of the motor, bar, and chain
- [AUTO-LUBRICATION] Keeps the chain running smooth and fast around the bar at 32 ft/s. And the oil-level indicator lets you know when you need to refill
The Worx WG303.1 is yet another all-powerful electric chainsaw. It delivers 14.5 Amps in motor output. That is an impressive level of power. This chainsaw is designed to power through all those heavy-duty log-cutting activities. The performance of the chainsaw is almost similar to that of gas chainsaws, only that this one has zero emissions. The chainsaw comes with an awesome patented auto-tension chain adjusting system that prevents it from over-tightening. This allows the chain to stay at the right tension at any given level of torque. It comes with the inbuilt chain brake and a low kickback chain. The chainsaw has a large-capacity oil reservoir and automatic lubrication.
- The chainsaw outputs 14.5Amps in motor power
- The electric chainsaw is corded
- It has an oil capacity of 200ml
- It comes with a 3-year warranty
- The chainsaw weighs 11 pounds
- It has inbuilt chain braking system
- The chainsaw is very lightweight
- It has impressive power levels
- It has adequate safety features
- The ergonomics are well put together
- The auto-chain tensioning system is convenient
- The chain has almost zero kickback
- The chainsaw is corded; hence your mobility is limited.
- The chainsaw suffers from oil leakage issues
- It has an oversized chain adjuster
The Worx WG303.1 chainsaw takes power to a whole new level. The chainsaw has a very aggressive chain that will power through loads of logs with tremendous drive. It also has an easy operation and various convenience features, though you might not be able to move around with it much. The automatic chain tensioning system is particularly desirable, as it allows the chain to cut with efficiency and remain in good condition for long. The chain is very lightweight, for it to deliver such power. The Worx WG303.1 could easily emerge as the best electric chainsaw when put among many others.
5. Black+Decker 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- 12-INCH CORDLESS ELECTRIC CHAINSAW - 40V MAX*battery-powered chainsaw with extended runtime
- SMOOTH, FAST CUTS - OREGON low-kickback bar and chain for easy and efficient cutting
The Black+Decker chainsaw is a battery powered chainsaw. It delivers moderate power with its 40v, 2 Ah lithium-ion battery. The battery allows the chainsaw to last over 60 4×4 pine lumber cuts. This is another chainsaw designed for light applications. It has a 12-inch bar and an easy-adjustment chain. The chain tension adjustment in tool-free, quick and easy. The chainsaw is equipped with an automatic oiling system. The chainsaw is very lightweight and cordless. It is equipped with a full wrap around handle, which allows a firm and comfortable grip.
- The chain has a 2’’ bar
- It has tool-free chain tension adjustment
- It has a 40v, 2Ah lithium-ion battery
- It weighs 10.4 pounds
- It is cordless
- The chain is lightweight hence convenient
- It is cordless and very portable
- The full wrap-around grip allows a firm and comfortable grip while working
- The tool-free tension adjustment is very convenient
- It has a hassle-free automatic oiling system
- The battery life is rather low.
- The chainsaw has issues with oil leakage
- The chainsaw is suitable for light applications only
The Black Decker is yet another chainsaw that delivers amazing convenience. It works great in where light cuts are required. The chainsaw is not made for heavy-duty applications and will most likely stall if pushed too hard. It is great as a home-based chainsaw for trimming hedges and cutting off branches. The chainsaw comes with numerous convenience features, which will make your work a lot more fun. The oil leakage issues are a bit concerning though. There are several complaints about it on Amazon. These could be isolated cases though. Overall, the chainsaw is quite effective within its limits.
6. Makita XCUO6Z Cordless Chainsaw
- Compact top handle design built for the professional tree care industry and weighs only 7.2 lbs. with battery for operator comfort
- Makita-built Outer Rotor Brushless Motor direct-drive system provides high power efficiency and has electric brake for maximum productivity
The Makita XCUO6Z is the cordless version of the Makita chainsaws. The chainsaw has a 10’’ top handle and a 18v lithium ion 5.0Ah battery. The motor delivers 720 FPM on the chainsaw. This is an amazing power level for a chainsaw powered by batteries. The zero-emission chainsaw has a longer run time than most of the battery-powered chainsaws we have encountered in this review. The batteries ensure an instant start for the chainsaw. It comes with tool-less and easy chain adjustment. It has low noise level and other numerous features that ensure your safety.
- The chainsaw has a 10’’ top handle
- It comes with tool-less chain adjustment
- The chain has low noise-levels
- It has zero-emissions
- It is equipped with two 18v lithium ion batteries
- It has a front hand guard
- The chainsaw weighs 7.2 pounds
- It has a rubberized grip
- The tool-less chain adjustment is easy and convenient
- The chainsaw has great power levels with a battery-powered chainsaw
- It is extremely lightweight
- It has adequate safety features
- The chainsaw has low noise production levels
- The rubberized grip ensures a firm and comfy grip
- The chainsaw has zero emissions
- The chainsaw does not come with the battery unless bought as a bundle
- Shorter battery life than others
Makita chainsaws are renowned for power. This one does not disappoint either. Though it does not have as much power as its electric counterpart, its power levels are amazing for a battery-powered chainsaw. The chainsaw is cordless and has adequate safety measures. This chainsaw is the true epitome of what the best chainsaw should be like. It combines power and great convenience to deliver a performance like no other. All these features point to a very efficient and easy to use a chainsaw.
7. Husqvarna 450e II Gas Chainsaw – Best Gas Chainsaw
- 450e II chainsaw with the new x-cut chain and x-force chainsaw Bar is an outstanding all-round chainsaw for the homeowner who values professional Grade power and performance
- 50. 2cc 18 inch gas chainsaw with guide bar and chain
Lastly, we look at the Husqvarna chainsaw. This is the only gas chainsaw we will be featuring on the list. Gas chainsaws are still in existence because they can deliver huge levels of power, while they are portable. Normally, electric chainsaws are powerful but are corded so working with them professionally becomes tricky. Also, battery-powered chainsaws are convenient since they can be easily moved around, but they are less powerful, and the battery will need recharging at some point. This leaves gas chainsaws as the only options for professional applications. The Husqvarna could be looked at as the best professional chainsaw on this review.
- The chainsaw has an 18’’ bar
- It is gas-powered
- It has 2 cycle engine
- It has exhaust emissions
- It has low vibrations
- It is equipped with a smart start feature
- It has a choke control system
- It comes with inertia activated the braking system
- It complies with all CARM requirements
- It weighs 11.3 pounds
- It comes with a 2-year warranty
- The chainsaw is very lightweight; most gas-powered chainsaws are bulky
- The smart start feature is very convenient
- The chainsaw is fuel efficient and has minimal vibrations
- The choke control system protects the chainsaw from damage
- The chainsaw delivers high levels of power
- It is durable
- The chainsaw is best for professional applications
- The operation of the chainsaw is easy
- The chainsaw suffers from overheating issues
- It has high noise levels
- Gas-powered chainsaws have fume emission which degrades the environment and are harmful if breathed in.
The Husqvarna chainsaw delivers tremendous power levels that are most applicable to professional requirements. Gas-powered chain saws have their fair share of misgivings, but the efficiency of this chainsaw is not questionable. As noted earlier, the rest of the chainsaws have limitations in either mobility or power. The Husqvarna combines these two aspects amazingly, to deliver a fantastic performance. Its versatility makes it the most reliable chainsaw we have featured. If you are involved in any heavy-duty or professional cutting activities, this Is the chainsaw for you.
Best Chainsaw for the Money – Buyer’s Guide
We have highlighted several chainsaws above, with their respective features, merits and demerits. As you may have noticed, the chainsaws are designed differently, and may, therefore, be suited for different applications in different circumstances. The best chainsaw for you is informed by how well the features and merits of a particular chainsaw coincide with your circumstances. There are several factors you are supposed to consider before settling on a particular chainsaw. These factors are;
The power of a chainsaw is central to how well it cuts through the pieces of log or wood you need it to. These chainsaws come in different power levels. Your needs are the ones to determine which chainsaw is best for you. For instance, if your needs include cutting through heavy and thick logs, you will need a chainsaw with a high-power level and an aggressive chain. On the other hand, if you want to trim hedges and cut off tree branches in your home, then a modest power chainsaw is enough to do the trick.
The chainsaw you get should be easy to use. It should be easy to start, operate, control and stop. The chainsaws come with different features meant to make these functions simple. It is important to ensure that you can effectively control the chainsaw you get. Various chainsaws have features such as automatic sharpening, oiling and braking systems, instant starts and great ergonomics. All these are meant to ensure you can conveniently handle the chainsaw. You should inspect these features carefully to determine which one works for you best.
Chainsaws have electric systems and numerous moving parts. The rotating chain is also very dangerous. It is paramount to ensure that the chainsaw you get has all the safety features in place. Safety starts with you being able to handle the chainsaw. Ensure you are conversant with all the control features of the chainsaw. The chainsaw should also be certified as safe for use by the relevant authorities. The more safety features a chainsaw has, the more desirable it is.
The prices of these chainsaws differ widely. The differences are informed by the different features that the chainsaws have. Pricey chainsaws tend to be more effective and durable than cheap ones. Ultimately, you can only buy the chainsaw that you can afford. As such, it is prudent to compare the different chainsaws within your budget and see which one delivers the most value for your money.
Having gone through some chainsaws and their features, and provided a buying guide, it would be safe to assume that you are now in a better position to make an informed decision. The chainsaw you purchase should serve you for long and have enough power. This review can help make sure that that is the case.