Fishing is a very ancient practice. It has always been practiced as an economic activity, sport or hobby. As a sport or hobby, one uses a fishing rod and a spinning reel. A spinning reel is a system of gears set to help pull out a fish attached to the line on a fishing rod. Having the best spinning reel on your rod is crucial. Fish will pull back aggressively which caught by the fishing line. It takes the best fishing reels to be able to pull it out easily, especially when it’s a big fish. Many people have been engaging in fishing as a sport or hobby in recent times. The demand for spinning reels has risen.
There are many types of spinning reels available. You might be a fishing enthusiast, but you probably do not know the technical aspects of a fishing reel. Also, if you are new to fishing and spinning reels, you might not know which one to choose, among the many available. There are not many spinning reels reviews available. You shouldn’t get worried though. We’ve got you covered. We tasked ourselves with exploring the various spinning reels available and highlighting their features, strengths, and weakness. The following is a review of various spinning reels that we established work great. The table below compares the various types of spinning reels featured in the review.
Best Spinning Reels 2018
|Name||Price||Gear ratio||Reel Weight||Max Drag||Bering Count|
|Penn Battle Spinning Reel||Check Price||6:2:1||6||1 pound||25lbs|
|Pflueger President Spinning Reel||Check Price||5:2:1||10||6.6 ponds||6lbs|
|Shimano Stardic C14+4000 XG FB Spinning Reel||Check Price||6:0:1||6||5.6 ounce||7lbs|
|Shimano Stardic FK spinning Reel||Check Price||6:0:1||6||8.3 ounce||24lbs|
|Shimano Siena Spinning Reel||Check Price||6:0:1||6||30 ounces||25lbs|
|Shimano Spirex RG Spinning Reel||Check Price||6:2:1||5||9.9 pounds||6lbs|
|Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Spinning Reel||Check Price||4:5:1||6||22 pounds||27lbs|
|Pfluger Supreme XT Spinning Reel||Check Price||6:2:1||10||9.6 ounces||12lbs|
|Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel||Check Price||6:2:1||-||9.2 ounces||17lbs|
|Penn Pursuit 11 Spinning Reel||Check Price||5:2:1||4||1 pound||9lbs|
The Penn battle spinning reel is designed to ensure a smooth but powerful drag, to ensure you pull out that big fish with ease. It is a high-range spinning reel ideal for demanding situations such as high seas fishing. High seas fishing involves salty water and big powerful fish. These are circumstances that can take a toll on a spinning reel. Penn battle spinning reel can withstand such conditions and perform with impressive efficiency. The spinning reel comes with line capacity rings marked at full, 1/3 and 2/3 capacity. The spinning reel has a full metal body, which ensures it is very durable.
- The spinning reel features a heavy-duty aluminum ball wire.
- It has a carbon fiber drag system
- It comes with fluid cranking which has five balls bearing coated with stainless steel
- It has a super line spool that requires no backing
- It comes braid ready
- The spinning reel is made of very durable materials.
- The materials are made to be corrosion-resistant. You can use it in salty water without having to worry
- The drag system is very smooth but extremely powerful
- The capacity rings are very convenient. They let you know when the line is at full capacity
- The super line spool requires not backing; that is very convenient
- The spinning reel has an instant anti-reverse bearing system. This locks the drag system from reverting back if you accidentally stop pulling.
- The full-metal body of the spinning reel is weighty. The reel might feel too heavy for some people.
Anyone who has gone fishing with a fishing rod and spinning reel before will tell you the importance of having a powerful, but smooth spinning reel. The Penn Battle spinning reel, just like the name suggests, seems to be made for the real battles. It has impressive drag power, while it remains very smooth. The spinning reel is very durable, though the materials used might make it heavy. The weight is not that much of an issue though. You would rather a heavy and durable reel and a light one that breaks down immediately. Right?
The Pflueger president spinning reel promises impressive performance. It has nine stainless steel ball bearings that are well set to ensure you have smooth yet very powerful drag. The body is made, and the rotor is made of graphite. Graphite is a tough and durable, yet very lightweight, materials. It is also made to be corrosion-resistant on this spinning reel. The spinning reel features a smooth drag system with multiple discs. The spinning reel comes with the very convenient instant anti-reverse system. You don’t have to worry when you accidentally stop pulling the line.
- The spinning reel is made up of 9 stainless steel ball bearings
- It has an instant anti-reverse bearing system
- The reel has a graphite body and rotor
- It comes with a braid ready aluminum spool
- It has a multi-disc drag system
- The instant anti-reverse system makes the reel very convenient
- The graphite and stainless-steel materials used are very durable
- The reel has a very powerful yet smooth drag smooth
- The spool comes braid ready
- The spinning reel is very lightweight
- The spinning reel does not deal very well with line twists. What it might stall is the line twists while battling a big fish pulling back aggressively.
The Pflueger president spinning reel does not rank too far from a presidential performance. It is befitting of the name. Though not very appropriate for high-pressure fishing expeditions, it works amazingly within its limits. The battle between man and a beast fighting for its life can be very tough. It requires a fishing reel that will not give in. The Pflueger will deal very well with moderately sized fish, by allowing a quick and smooth drag. It a has numerous other convenient features to ensure that you have a great fishing session. This fishing reel is a great option for beginners. This brand produces some of the best freshwater spinning reels.
Shimano Stardic is a very popular brand of fishing reels. The C14+4000 model comes in a full metal body, which is durable, rigid and impacts absorbing. This reduces flexing and optimizes cracking power. It features a mono-line capacity and a maximum drag force of 20lbs. The spinning reel delivers 35 inches in line retrieve per crank. It comes with a spare spool, just in case the other one stalls.
- The spinning reel features a mono-line capacity
- It has 35 inches line retrieve per crank
- It has a gear ratio of 6:0:1
- It comes with a spare spool
- It has one roller bearing
- It has a maximum drag power of 20lbs
- The full metal body makes it durable
- The materials used are made to be corrosion-resistant
- The spinning reel has a very smooth drag system
- It has an impressive line retrieve per crank
- The drag power of the Shimano Stardc C14+4000 is not the best. It has rather low drag power.
A great spinning reel is identified, by its power and cranking smoothness. The Stardc C14+4000 is very smooth; its power is not the biggest though. It is a great spinning reel for light fishing situations. It does not fall short in its operation though. It comes with numerous convenience features and has a great gear ratio. This spinning reel will allow you to pull back your catch with ease. It may not get you the biggest catch, but it is still a great spinning reel.
The FK spinning reel model from the Shimano stardic model is a superior one to the C14+4000 above. It still comes with a full metal body, thus maintaining the durability and rigidity we have seen with the C14+4000. The FK spinning reel comes with the X-ship technology bearings on both sides of the pinion gear. This helps keep it aligned with the drive gear. It also has the Dyna technology that ensures a balance between in the rotor and minimizes retrieve-vibration. The spinning reel delivers great drag power, but it remains very smooth. The reel has a roller that keeps the line wrapped around the spool to minimize line twisting and looping.
- The spinning reel has a full metal body
- It has bearings on each side of the pinion gear
- It features the signature anti-reverse system
- It features the rotor counter balancing Dyna technology
- The metal body reduces flexing
- The spinning reel has a powerful but very smooth drag
- The materials used are very durable
- The Dyna technology ensures rotor balance
- Its roller is well designed to avoid twisting and looping
- The anti-reverse system ensures the fish can’t pull back even if you stop pulling
- The spinning reel does not make it very easy to pitch and flip the line.
The Shimano Stardic FK spinning Reel delivers a more powerful performance than its counterpart above. It has a very smooth drag too. It comes with numerous other features make it easy for you to pull back a big fish. That is all you need in a spinning reel. This fishing reel seems like a great option for going fishing into the high seas. Its reviews on Amazon are further proof of its prowess. It should be one your options if you are planning to get a spinning reel soon.
We encounter yet another spinning reel from the Shimano stardic brand. The Siena model features most of the signature feature of this model, only that it delivers more drag power and smoothness. It would be easy to consider this spinning reel as the ultimate spinning reel. It has the signature anti-reverse system, but it stands out since its system has no back play. It has a propulsion spool lip that prevents backlashes. It comes with an oscillation-controlled spool-speed that ensures an even line lay. It has minimal wobbling. The spinning reel comes with a graphite frame and an aluminum spool.
- It has the anti-reverse system
- The reel comes with an aluminum spool
- It has a graphite frame
- It has oscillation-controlled spool-speed
- It propulsion spool lip ensures no backlashes
- The anti-reverse system has no back play
- Aluminum and graphite are durable and lightweight materials
- The spinning reel has very minimal vibration
- The oscillation-controlled spool-speed ensures, and even line lay preventing twists and loops
- It is not easy to pitch and flip the line with this spinning reel
The Shimano Siena Spinning Reel delivers an impressive performance. This a high-end spinning reel. This is the spinning reel you need if you are the ultimate fishing fan. It has optimum drag power and smoothness. All its systems are optimized to ensure minimal wobbling and vibration. Going through its reviews on Amazon will give you a sneak peek of how effective this spinning reel is. It could arguably the best spinning reel for bass that we have on the list. It qualifies to be one of your top of the list options.
The Shimano series features yet again with the Spirex RG spinning reel, further cementing its superiority in the spinning reels realm. This one is a moderate performance spinning reel, suitable for light fishing situations. It has a maximum drag of 6 pounds and a gear ratio of 6:2:1. The spinning reel comes with a ball bearing system with five ball bearings.
- The spinning reel has a maximum drag of 6 pounds
- It has a gear ratio of 6:2:1
- It weighs 9.9 ounces
- It comes with a five ball bearings system
- Its ball bearings system and gear ratio ensure a smooth drag
- It has a full metal body which makes it durable
- It has a spool that reduces twists and loops on the line fewer chances of stalling
- It has the anti-reverse system that ensures your catch cannot pull back.
- The spinning reel has minimal wobbling and vibration
- The spinning reel does not have much drag power. It is not suitable for high-pressure situations.
The Shimano Spirex RG Spinning Reel is a convenient spinning reel if you are on a compressed budget. For you simple fishing expeditions, this spinning reel will deliver the required performance. It is a great option for children and beginners. It does not have the power needed for high seas fishing. The spinning reel will work great within its limits. Different people fish in different capacities. This spinning reel features on the reviews as an option for those who do not fish in high-pressure circumstances.
This spinning reel is designed to make bait feeding easy and convenient. The bait feeding system allows the disengagement of the spool, to allow the line to running free without having to open the bail. It comes with a multi-disk drag system that delivers great power and smoothness. The drag system is well oiled to make it extremely smooth. The spinning reel comes with a six-ball bearing system. It is equipped with the anti-reverse bearing system to ensure it does not roll back. The materials used are made to be corrosion-resistant, making it ideal for fishing in salty waters.
- The spinning reel is designed to be a bait feeding system
- It has a multi-disk drag system
- It comes with a 6-ball bearing system
- It has an anti-reverse roller bearing
- It comes with a one-year warranty
- The spinning real is made of corrosion-resistant materials
- It has a graphite body. Graphite is very durable and lightweight
- The spinning reel has good drag power
- It has a very smooth drag
- It allows easy bait feeding
- The spinning real does not deal very well with twits and loops on the line. They easily cause it to stall.
The Okuma Avenger is made in Japan. Japan is a country with a long history of fishing. The fishing industry in Japan is quite developed, and so is their equipment. The Okuma Avenger delivers great drag power and smoothness. The bait feeding system is a very desirable feature. It allows you feed the bait without having to disassemble the bail and line. That is very convenient. The materials used a corrosion resistant and can, therefore be used in salty waters. All these features point to a very effective spinning reel. Considering most of Japan’s fishing is done in the ocean, this could arguably be the best saltwater spinning reel. This is the best spinning reel under 100.
We encounter yet another spinning reel from Pfluger, the Supreme XT. The Supreme XT is an even superior spinning reel as compared to its sibling on the review. It comes with a 10-bearing system with stainless steel ball bearings. It has a magnesium body and rotor. All these materials are made to be corrosion-resistant. The spinning reel is surprisingly lightweight, considering it has an all metal body. The reel allows the braid to be directly attached to the spool. It comes with a carbon fiber handle, which is sturdy and very light.
- The spinning reel has a 10-bearing system
- It comes in a magnesium body and rotor
- It comes with a braid ready spool
- The materials used are made to be carbon resistant
- It comes with a sealed, always lubricated carbon drag.
- The materials used on the spinning reel are very durable and lightweight
- The lubricated carbon drag delivers great power, and it’s very smooth.
- The braid ready spool is very convenient
- The materials are made to be corrosion-resistant hence very appropriate for high sea fishing
- Lines twists and loops are a challenge with the Pflueger Supreme XT.
The Pflueger Supreme XT is a top of the range spinning reel. It is yet another amazing spinning reel, which offers unlimited possibilities. It will handle high-pressure situations with ease. It is designed to deliver impressive drag power and remain very smooth. For, a spinning reel with a lot of metal body works, the Pflueger Supreme XT is very lightweight. All these are features of an optimum spinning reel. This fishing reel should not miss at the top of your list of options.
The Abu Garcia spinning reel delivers smooth and reliable performance. For casting accuracy, you can count on this spinning reel. The reel is very lightweight but rigid. It comes with an X-craftic gearbox made of carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is a light but very strong and sturdy material. The Abu Garcia spinning reel remains aligned even when under tremendous pressure. It has slow oscillation to ensure an even line lay. This avoids that challenges posed by twists and loops on the line.
- Its gearbox is made of carbon fiber
- It comes with a carbon matrix drag system
- It has slow oscillation
- The materials used are corrosion resistant
- It has the K-clutch anti-reverse bearing system
- The spinning reel allows precise casting
- It remains aligned even under serious pressure
- The handle of the reel has very little back play
- The materials used are corrosion-resistant
- The spinning reel is very rigid
- The slow oscillation ensures not twists and loops on the line
- The spinning reel does not generate a lot of hauling power.
The Abu Garcia is made for accuracy and precision. Pitching and flipping are optimum with this spinning reel. It might not be the best when it comes to drag power, but it delivers acceptable levels. The all the other signature convenience features expected on a great spinning reel. Its precision in casting gives it an edge over many other spinning reels. It is, therefore one of the best spinning reels we have on the review.
Lastly, we feature the Penn Pursuit spinning reel. This is arguably the best budget spinning reel we have in the review. It comes with a durable graphite construction. The side plate is made of aluminum. The oiled drag system delivers good drag power while it remains very smooth. It has a fluid cracking system that system has tour stainless steel ball bearings. It comes with an instant anti-reverse system that ensures your catch doesn’t get away. The spinning reel is lightweight and the materials used are corrosion resistant.
- The spinning reel has a graphite body
- It has a fluid cranking system
- It has the signature anti-reverse system
- The cranking system has four ball bearings
- The materials used are very durable and lightweight
- The anti-reverse system reacts instantly. That’s very convenient
- Its cranking is very smooth
- It has great ergonomics on the handle that allows good handling
- The materials are corrosion-resistant
- The drag power of the spinning reel is not the highest.
For a budget spinning reel, that Penn Pursuit 11 performs extremely well. It has good, acceptable drag power and the cranking is very smooth. The power is not enough to handle high-pressure situations though. Other than that, the spinning reel does not fall short in any other aspect of a great spinning reel. If you are on a tight budget, this spinning reel could be your best option. It comes with all the convenient features expected in an effective spinning reel. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon too. They go a mile further in proving that the Penn Pursuit 11 is a great spinning reel. This is the best spinning reel under 50.
Best Spinning Reels 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
We aim to ensure you get the best spinning reel for your specific situation. A great spinning reel should be able to meet your requirements and serve you for a long time. We have gone through some spinning reels and highlighted their respective features. The review, however, remains inconclusive about which one among them is the best. You may have noticed that the spinning reels are designed with different situations in mind. As such the best spinning reel is dependent on your particular situation. There are some factors you are supposed to consider, before settling on a particular fishing reel. Let’s look at the factors.
- Drag Power
The spinning reel is the central part of your fishing equipment. It is the one that pulls out the captured fishing. As mentioned earlier, fish can fight back aggressively, and it takes a powerful spinning reel to pull out a big fish. The amount of drag you go for should be informed by the type of fish you are targeting. That being said, it would not hurt to have a very powerful spinning reel, even if you are capturing small fish.
The core essence of a spinning reel is to ensure that you do not have to use too much energy to pull out the fish. The spinning reel is supposed to do the work for you. Rotating the spinning reel’s handle by pulling out a fish should be very smooth. The spinning reel should have a good gear system with a favorable gear ratio and a high line drag per oscillation. This will ensure that you can pull out a big fish with ease. It is important to realize that as the fish fights backs, you will need to have a certain amount of body strength to overcome it.
The materials used to make the spinning reel inform its durability and weight. These two are very important aspects. High seas fishing involves salty water. Fishing in such environments requires that your equipment should be corrosion resistant. Fishing equipment is also subjected to tremendous pressure. The materials used should, therefore, be able to withstand high pressure. Common materials include carbon fibers, graphite, aluminum and stainless steel.
Finally, the price of the spinning reel remains the ultimate determinant of whether you are going to get the fishing reel. You should never compromise on quality for the price though. Always go for the best quality that you can afford. Normally, high-performance spinning reels will be pricey. Take time to compare the respective features of the various spinning reels that are within your budget.
Having gone through various spinning reels and developed a buying guide, it would be safe to bet that you are now better placed to choose a good spinning reel. Fishing does not have to be such a boring or difficult activity anymore. The possibilities with these spinning reels are unlimited. This review is meant to help you identify the best spinning reel for your situation and make an informed decision. It is very expansive though. It might prove difficult for you to remember all the details. As such, below is a summary table containing all the spinning reels features, with their respective features and prices.
|Penn Battle Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Pflueger President Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Shimano Stardic C14+4000 XG FB Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Shimano Stardic FK spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Shimano Siena Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Shimano Spirex RG Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Pfluger Supreme XT Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Penn Pursuit 11 Spinning Reel||Check Price|