Wireless technologies are the latest craze in this 21st century. Everyone wants to connect to things wirelessly. Wireless routers are now widely used across the globe. They have made possible the development of travel routers. You can get one and ensure you never lose your connections while you are on the move. The best wireless travel routers ensure all your devices remain connected even when you are traveling. Wireless travel routers are normally small in size and designed to cater to just a few devices. Having one in your travels can be very convenient.
There are many types of wireless routers on the market today. Getting the best wireless travel routers among the many types might prove to be a daunting task. You might be wondering, what is the best portable wifi router? You do not have to worry though. We compiled one of the best wireless travel router reviews. This is a comprehensive review of various wireless travel routers that we have established are great. The review will highlight the respective pros and cons of the wireless routers, as well as their pros and cons. The review should help you narrow down to the wireless router that can serve you best, next time you go looking for one. Below is a comparison table of the wireless routers featured in the review.
The HooToo Wireless Travel Router is a miniature looking travel router with an incredible performance. The battery powered wireless travel router is great for your traveling requirements. It comes in a small and compact design that allows you to conveniently carry it around.
• The single-band router has connection rates of up to 300 Mbps
• The router is powered by a 10400 mAh battery
• The router has a USB 2.0 port
• It has one WAN port for cable internet
• The router delivers speed good enough for HD streaming
• You can use its battery as a power bank too
• The router has a wireless sharing feature
• The router is quite simple to configure
• The router lacks LAN ethernet ports
• The router is not compatible with VPN
The HooToo Wireless Travel Router does not fall short of much as a far as an effective portable wifi router is concerned. If stable and robust internet connection while on the move is all you are looking for, this router will not disappoint. It is certainly one of the best portable wifi routers for travel.
The GL.iNet GL-AR300M is yet another impressive travel router, from one of the most popular brands of travel routers. GL.iNet specializes in producing mini-routers, and have some of the best mini routers in the market. This router is a great option for your travels. It comes with all the basic features and functionalities of an effective wireless router.
• The wireless router is fitted with dual ethernet ports
• The router is equipped with 128MB RAM, 16MB NOR Flash + 128M NAND Dual flash
• It is compatible with is 3G/4G USB modems
• The router is open-source ready. The firmware can be upgraded
• The router delivers connection rates of up to 300 Mbps
• The router has the Open-WRT firmware upgrade capability
• It has ethernet ports for fast wired connections
• The router can be conveniently powered with a power band or laptop
• Many people have challenges configuring the router
The GL.iNet GL-AR300M is an amazing portable wifi router. It is a high-performance router will all the essential features and deliverables of an effective wireless router. The router’s firmware can be upgraded to enable it to perform at full potential. It is quite an impressive wireless router, and you would be impressed to have it. It is one of the top-rated travel wireless routers.
We have yet another impressive travel router from GL.iNet, the GL.iNet GL-B1300 gigabit wireless router. The router is very compact and portable. As mentioned above, GL.iNet has become popular out of creating small but powerful wireless routers. This is yet another one of their masterpieces. It has a robust and powerful performance. Some of its features are outlined below.
• The dual-band router has connection rates of up to 1300 Mbps
• It comes with three gigabit ports
• It is open source ready and programmable
• The router comes with a storage of 256MB RAM / 32MB FLASH ROM
• The wireless router has impressive connection speeds
• The ethernet ports are great for wired connections
• The router has the Open-WRT firmware upgrade capability
• The router delivers an impressive coverage
• The OpenVPN throughput on the router interferes with its speed
The GL.iNet GL-B1300 wireless travel router is an incredible router, even when compared to a normal house or office routers. It has all the basic features and deliverables of a standard router. It is certainly a great router to move around with. You can be certain you are going to have no downtime with this router.
The TRENDnet AC750 is yet another high-performance mini travel router. It is a dual-band router with some great features. It is designed for multiple users and features WISP, AP, and Repeater modes. It is certainly one of the best travel wireless routers in the review. A couple of its features are outlined below.
• The dual-band router has speeds of up to 740 Mbps
• The router features encrypted security protocols
• The router is fitted with a single USB 2.0 port
• The wireless router has IPv6 compatibility
• The router delivers impressive connection speeds
• The router has ethernet ports that are great for wired connections
• The router’s security protocols are very robust
• The router is fitted with the beamforming technology that ensures good coverage
• The router is not compatible with VPNs4
• Many people have a challenge configuring the router
The TRENDnet AC750 Wireless Travel Router has a very robust and powerful performance. It is one of the best portable wifi routers in the review. It has all the hallmarks of a great travel wireless router. It delivers fast speeds, good coverage, and can accommodate multiple devices. Travel routers do not get better than this. It is certainly one of the best travel routers on the market.
The RAVPowerFileHub Plus is yet another miniature-looking, but very effective travel wireless router. The router is powered by an external battery. The router can also be directly powered by any 5V DC input. The router comes with some very impressive features. Some of the features are outlined below.
• The router has a 6000mAh external battery
• It comes with one WAN Ethernet port for cable internet
• It features wireless data sharing
• It operates on the 2.5GHz band only
• You can use it external battery as a power bank for other devices too
• The wireless sharing features are very convenient
• The router has incredible connection rates
• The router is small, compact, and easy to carry around
• The router is incompatible with Apple devices
• It is not compatible with VPNs
The RAVPowerFileHub Plus does not fall short of much as far as a great travel router is concerned. It is nowhere close to the ultimate travel wireless router, but it is certainly up to the task. It comes at a pocket-friendly price too. It is a great budget option. You can go for it if you are on a compressed budget.
The TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N is yet another impressive wireless travel router. TP-Link is a globally renowned brand of wireless routers. The TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N is a single-band router, that is ideal for traveling or light home use. Below are some of its impressive features.
• The router has connection rates of up to 300 Mbps
• The router has Chrome Cast compatibility
• It features AP, Client, Repeater and WISP operation modes
• The router is equipped with a Micro-USB port for power and sharing
• The router comes with a compact and portable build
• It is very easy to set up and configure
• The router can be conveniently powered by a 5V DC source
• It delivers good connections speeds.
• The router is incompatible with VPNs
The TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N does not disappoint in any aspect. It lives up to the good reputation of TP-Link routers. It still has some shortcomings, but it is quite impressive. It is available on Amazon, with a price tag of $30. The router seems like a great bargain, given in impressive features and performance.
The URANT Wireless Router is a yet another impressive wireless travel router. You got to have a socket to use it though. It comes with the wall-plug design. The router is fitted with high-gain antennas for improved coverage. You can move around with it, and plug it in, in your hotel room. Check out some of its impressive features below.
• The router has toe high-gain antennas
• The router works with the AP, Repeater, and router modes
• The wireless router delivers speeds of up to 300Mbps
• The wireless router has one gigabit ethernet port
• The wireless router has incredible connection rates
• The antennas enhance the router’s coverage
• The router comes with very robust security protocols
• The ethernet port is great for fast wired connections
• You cannot use the router unless you have a socket somewhere.
The URANT Wireless Router does not fall short of much. You will enjoy some fast connections so long as you can get somewhere to plug it in. It is a high-performance router, that would deliver a great performance even as a home router. It may not the best most ideal for traveling needs, but it is one of the best wireless routers in the review.
The TP-LINK TL-MR3040 is yet another phenomenal wireless travel router from TP-Link. This is yet another high-performance router with an incredible performance. This single-band router comes in a miniature and compact design, but it is very effective. The design also makes it convenient to carry around It is without a doubt one of the best wireless travel routers in the review.
• The router features the AP, WISP, and Router Modes
• It delivers connection rates of up to 150 Mbps
• The router is powered by a 2000mAh internal battery
• It features a 4-hour battery life
• The wireless router is compact and easy to move around with
• It has good connection speeds
• The router comes with a LAN port for wired connection s
• The router is very easy to set up and configure
• The router’s battery life is rather short. You cannot rely on it if you are traveling far.
The TP-LINK TL-MR3040 wireless travel router is a very convenient wireless router. It is unbeatable when it comes to portability and flexibility. It is quite easy to set up too, unlike many other routers. The connection rates may not be the best out there, but they are good enough. It is one of the best travel wifi routers in the review.
Lastly, we look at yet another Wireless Travel Router from HooToo. This one is also a high-performance router with some incredible features. You can conveniently stream HD videos and play games while on the move, with this wireless router. It is arguably the best wireless travel route in the review. Check out some of its impressive features below.
• The router has an ethernet WAN port
• It comes with a PC USB port
• It weighs only one ounce
• It comes with a 1GB RAM
• The router is quite easy and simple to set up
• It can be powered with any 5V DC source
• It has impressive connection rates
• It has a compact design that makes it easy to carry around.
• The router is not compatible with VPNs
• The router lacks LAN ethernet ports
The HooTooTripMate Wireless Travel Router is a miniature-looking but very effective pocket router. You do not have to lose connection at any point with this router. It has all the basic features and deliverables of an effective travel router. You should see it reviews on Amazon. They are quite encouraging if they are anything to go by.
Travel Wireless Router Buying Guide
The reviews above are meant to give you a better picture of what a great travel router is all about. Before you settle on any of the routers above, you should consider a few factors. The factors include;
The connection speed of a router is one of the most crucial aspects of a router. You do not a router with sluggish connections. Compare the speeds of the various routers and get one that works for you. If your work involves heavy files and streaming, you are going to need a router with fast connection speeds. Many travel routers are single-band, and they are good enough. However, if you have a couple of different devices that you need to connect, the dual-band travel routers would be your best bet.
2. Power System
The wireless travel routers cannot run without power. Some have inbuilt batteries, some are powered by your computer, while others are plugged into a socket. You have to know what works best for you. If you go for the one with an inbuilt battery, ensure they have a good battery life. You do not want them to die before you reach your destinations. If you get the plug-in routers, it means you cannot use them until you are in a place where there is a socket. You have to weight all these factors and determine what works best for you.
Ultimately, the prices of the routers will get to make the final call regarding which router you take home. Take your time to compare the various routers that are within your budget. Some of the routers from different brands have similar features but widely varying prices. The aim is to ensure you get the best travel router for the money you have. Find the router that delivers the most value to you. Do not compromise on the quality of the router just to save a few bucks. Always go for the best travel router that you can afford.
The reviews and buying guide above should help you narrow down to your best-suited travel wireless router. Shopping for the best travel router should no longer be such a daunting task. It should be fun. Explore the routers and get one that works for you. You should never lose your connections just because you are on the move.